I need advice on harness

stoneam2006

Ok so I'll admit I've never used a harness...used my climber all last season without one my dad never used one my uncle doesn't and fell and had to crawl back to truck with broken knee...so now I look at it as I have kids one who will be hunting with me this year a little and more as time goes on...now I am looking for a cheap but effective harness to use for myself and how to use it up a climber...ladders and hang on I understand but a climber is new as only had last year...also any recommendations on kids harnesses (price not a factor on this) I want best and comfortable for him.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

just got a muddy magnum for 59 dollars from dicks it was on sale, so far i really like it very adjustable, lightweight, and comfortable and extremely easy to put on after using the one that come with my stand.  Take a look at it.  I would highly recommend it. 

Edited by bisceglia
  • Like 1

most treestands come with a harness these days.....when I climb I just put the tree strap around the tree, clip the harness on and just keep moving it up until I reach the desired height, only takes a few seconds to move it each time. I wouldn't get a cheap harness for myself or my kids....main reason being they are a pain in the ass as opposed to some of the vest style ones with the seatbelt type buckles......the way I see it with some of the cheap ones, is although they may save you from hitting the ground, they might kill you by strangling you to death, they would be impossible to get out of while hanging there if needed.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 2

I would seriously look at the Muddy ones. I just got a new one for sale of Bass online for $39 from $49. It is a very comfortable, well made and you can not beat the price. Also a well known company. For children I don't think I have seen many except maybe the HSS which are popular too.

Good luck and be smart and get one. I was indestructible once too!! Now we have others that count on us.

http://www.basspro.com/Muddy-The-Magnum-Safety-Harness/product/1503131202/

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigation?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&searchTerm=youth+harness

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 2

skip the harness IMO. Houdini would have troubles getting into one in the dark. I bought myself a Life Support (or something like that ) climbing vest. It has seat belt like buckles that clip around each thigh and three quick buckles on chest .

exactly what I was saying....

• Like 1

Ok so I'll admit I've never used a harness...used my climber all last season without one my dad never used one my uncle doesn't and fell and had to crawl back to truck with broken knee...so now I look at it as I have kids one who will be hunting with me this year a little and more as time goes on...now I am looking for a cheap but effective harness to use for myself and how to use it up a climber...ladders and hang on I understand but a climber is new as only had last year...also any recommendations on kids harnesses (price not a factor on this) I want best and comfortable for him.

Don't let cost be an option, get a good harness. I am sure your Uncle's medical bills, lost wages and pain & suffering were a lot more than what a good harness will run you.

• Like 1

I would seriously look at the Muddy ones. I just got a new one for sale of Bass online for $39 from $49. It is a very comfortable, well made and you can not beat the price. Also a well known company. For children I don't think I have seen many except maybe the HSS which are popular too.

Good luck and be smart and get one. I was indestructible once too!! Now we have others that count on us.

http://www.basspro.com/Muddy-The-Magnum-Safety-Harness/product/1503131202/

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigation?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&searchTerm=youth+harness

they look pretty good..........and I don't know how much cheaper you can get.

• Like 1

I've used both the hunter safety and the spider. Spider is hands down better and more comfortable for me. http://www.robinsonoutdoors.com/tree-spider/speed-harness.php

Wear it under my outer layer and use the tree rope with my climber http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/rope-style-treestrap-1/

about 6' up i put the rope around the tree and then as I go i unsinch and resinch. keep your knife handy, if you do fall in a climber you have nothing to climb back into and now you're suspended. With a knife you can cut free and slide or at least plan your jump down.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

Harness and vest are the same thing. The harness is attached to vest, more tangle ????

The POS that came with my Summit climber is far from a vest . I chucked it the day I got it. If I could figure out how to put it on inside of 20 minutes I'd be lucky , and lucky not to strangle myself had I fell using it.

• Like 1

Ok so the harness attaches to a strap around tree that's it

pretty much that's all there is to it........I honestly can't let go of the tree until I'm strapped in these days, a couple unplanned trips down the tree put a little fear of heights into me. Back in the day, I hunted out of stands that would make me shake my head out now.

Edited by jjb4900

The POS that came with my Summit climber is far from a vest . I chucked it the day I got it. If I could figure out how to put it on inside of 20 minutes I'd be lucky , and lucky not to strangle myself had I fell using it.

The vest style ones have the same harness in them, they just add the vest to keep it from getting tangled up, and give you nicer buckles.

I used to use the one that came with my first stand, and got so I could put it on in about 30 seconds, in the dark.

I have been using a Gorilla Exo tech G30 for a few years now, and love it. Unfortunately, Gorilla is gone, so my next one will be the TreeSpider Speed harness. Im not a fan of the vest style harnesses, and I dont like the Muddy that doesnt have a waist belt.

For my daughter, I got her the HSS Lil Treestalker. Works good enough for her, but I wouldnt get the HSS vest style for myself.

• Like 2

that's what i love about the spider. 2 quick connect buckles at the legs and a small plastic connection at the chest to keep it secure. on and off in 10 seconds.

• Like 1

Ok so the harness attaches to a strap around tree that's it

i believe my dad gets all his from dicks. If you have a ladder or permanent stand just buy a bunch and attach them a few feet above where your head would be if you're standing. That way if you fall you dont fall too far. Ideally you want to just fall and be "caught". Work your way back to your climbing sticks/ladder/screw ins and climb back in. Be sure to loosen them a little every season as well as your stand and sticks as the tree grows. this isn't the brand we have but you get the idea.

http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/quick-connect-treestrap-3-pack/

• Like 1

It takes me less than 10 seconds to put the Muddy on. Very easy and has the relief system so if you do fall and can't climb into stand you can run a loop line down to step on to relieve leg pressure which is what will make things real bad for you real quick hanging in a harness if you can't relieve that pressure.

• Like 1

When I started hunting out of stands back in the '80's I tied a rope around the tree with a clove hitch and a bowline around me....

Then I got an early HSS vest thing. Big seatbelt buckels that made noise when hit by guns and bows along with ladders and such. It was Baggie and caught on tree steps, so,I put it under my outter layer .

The I used those that came with standsbut they don't fit me right.

My Muddy is a joy to use. Light comfortable and with good features , such as a tension relief strap that is attached to it . Easy to put on , I really love it !