Elk and Moose Season??

pitweiler

There may be some elk down near the PA boarder, as there is a population down there. Maybe some have made their way over the boarder, but I havent heard of any. Moose are becoming more prevalent in the North Eastern areas of NY, so in the future the DEC will have the power to put a season in place if need be.

I have heard of some old past time attempts to re-introduce elk into NY, I even think there may have been a thread on this site about it at some point. I have not heard of any currently in the state, but I think the poster above has a point that some may have come over from PA. Moose I have heard of making a comeback up north and would love for them to thrive as it would be nice to hunt them in our home state. 

I have heard of some old past time attempts to re-introduce elk into NY, I even think there may have been a thread on this site about it at some point. I have not heard of any currently in the state, but I think the poster above has a point that some may have come over from PA. Moose I have heard of making a comeback up north and would love for them to thrive as it would be nice to hunt them in our home state.

At the very least a NY population might make getting a moose tag cheaper and easier being a NY resident vs any of the other states

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

What the state did was pass a law that will allow a season to just go into effect at a select date. The idea of the law was to prevent any down time or have any hurdles to jump when the time comes for an effective season. The state is trying to think ahead, maybe a bit too far ahead for the elk but it was a good idea. 

What the state did was pass a law that will allow a season to just go into effect at a select date. The idea of the law was to prevent any down time or have any hurdles to jump when the time comes for an effective season. The state is trying to think ahead, maybe a bit too far ahead for the elk but it was a good idea. 

Any talk about when that may be and what the regulations would be?

I did hear of one case last year I believe... took a big bull...arguably one of the biggest in herd without a tag....ended up caught I believe

yes.....but as far as Elk being poached I honestly haven't heard of that being a problem.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

no

WNY got it right on. No talk of any regulations or anything. The state made it so moose and elk are legal game with this law passing. (Legal game when the herd is at the right size and all the other specifications needed to make the season) Its pretty much just a BS law right now until the herds are where they need to be in the states eyes.

this pipedream is many many years away from any possibility . and IF/when it does happen, you know there will be only be a small # of tags allowed in a pretend lottery whereby most of the tags will go to "insiders" . because NY is on the up and up

If they did enact a season the way they should run the lottery is start with the oldest tenured license holders getting priority and then have everyone below them start building preference points in different tiers. This way all hunters old and new would have an equal chance at this hunt at some point in their lifetime.......But that would make to much sense.