First Time Hunting

huntermike

Hello all,

This year marks my first time hunting. I am a bow hunter and was wondering if you could answer a couple questions for me:

1. I missed getting doe tags becasue I just got my bowhunter tags a couple days ago. I have one deer, one bear and then muzzle / bow (either sex). The tag for bow hunting shows a buck on the top left. Does that mean I can't get a doe or can I get either sex? The muzzle / bow tag specifically says either sex.

2. What would you recommend for what I should take along with me in regards to what I should pack? I figure the usual like snacks, knife, etc... but is there anything else in case I get stuck out in the woods unexpectidely?

3. What do I have to do if I decide to hunt in a state park like Allegheny? Do I have to talk to someone beforehand and let them know what I'm hunting, etc?

4. I purchased stuff for a ground blind to make one myself quickly. Everything packs into a 5 gallon bucket. What do I have to watch out for as opposed to being in a tree stand?

• Like 1

Welcome aboad HunterMike!  Great place for hunters with some really cool people! 

1) Either sex tags are good for any deer.  Just make sure you are not in a location with antler restrictions.  3 antlers on one side with tines at least one inch.  

2)GPS, Phone, Maps, extra flashlights with batteries.  Dressing gloves, extra release, extra clothes when cold out, foot warmers, hot seat.  

3)If you want to hunt state parks check with your local DEC, the phone numbers for each region are on thier site and they can be very helpfull in gettting you started.

4)Your scent, be as scent free on the ground as possible.  Not sure what else you need to watch out for.  Make sure your shooting lanes are clear so when you get a deer in sight you can take a shot.  Wear black clothes in a blind, no need for camo, camo works too.  

Good luck and welcome to the site! 

I also have a buck-only on my regular season license, but my bow license says either sex (though in some of the DEC regions we're still prohibited from bucks for first 15 days). A co-worker tells me my regular season is only good for a buck (DMP still valid outside of that, though).

In addition to things already mentioned I would recommend some basic first aid kit. Light, and cheap, include some gauze and bandaids or moleskins. Also some ibuprofen. Also the Windstorm safety whistle from amazon. I'm specific because I'm saving you researching. But if your cellphone dies and or is broken and you happen to get somewhat incapacitated I think you'll appreciate having a whistle. Think about a compass. I am surprised to find I use mine a decent bit even though I have cell reception everywhere I've been. Cheap, light.

State land has different rules, so you really do need to check. Some state parks don't allow hunting, some do, check their website. Most of the WMA's (ny dec site) allow hunting, but some might only with a special license (e.g. montezuma WMA), whereas others it doesn't matter; park your car and walk in and your regular license is all you need.

Both last posts are dead on about finding way back and have two sources of light minimum. You could get stuck out way longer than you think and if one flashlight dies you're screwed. I also carry clear safety glasses in my flashlight box because nothing beats not getting your eyes lashed by thin branches you couldn't see in the dark.

Edited by Core

What WMU area will you most likely be hunting? That can help us give you solid answers.

Your tag that reads Bow/Muzzleloader is an either sex tag.  This allows you to shoot a buck or doe, but only one.  I have more doe running around than bucks so if I don't have a doe tag I wait to see if I can arrow a nice buck before I use it on a doe. 

When I go into the woods I take a cushion, hot hands, matches, my deer drag (short piece of rope), bow holder, saw, knife, gutting gloves, extra haul line. Those are my essentials, I don't normally carry extra clothes on person but have some in the vehicle I drive.

State land is a first come first served, no need to call anyone you just go. I would highly recommend if you are considering a large forested area to have a map and compass, also tell someone where you are planning on hunting in-case something happens.  Do your homework ahead of time looking at the geography so if you get turned around you have an idea of which way you have to go to get back home.

Scent wise I just recommend hunting the wind. In other words if the game will be coming from the north and you have a south wind (your scent will be blowing right to the deer) setup away from their path but close enough to get a shot. Also look for areas that are natural funnels. These could be steep ravines with only 1 crossing spot, where hedgerows meet just before they go into a large set of woods, field lines with oak trees (the ones that have acorns), apple trees, or hickory (have golfball sized nuts that fall and break open in wedges). Other good areas to hunt are on edges of thick pines with a heavily traveled trail coming out of it.

Sorry for being so long winded but as you can probably tell there is a lot to hunting these elusive animals.

Hello all,

This year marks my first time hunting. I am a bow hunter and was wondering if you could answer a couple questions for me:

1. I missed getting doe tags becasue I just got my bowhunter tags a couple days ago. I have one deer, one bear and then muzzle / bow (either sex). The tag for bow hunting shows a buck on the top left. Does that mean I can't get a doe or can I get either sex? The muzzle / bow tag specifically says either sex.

Welcome.

I am confused.

you say  "I have one deer, one bear and then muzzle / bow (either sex)."

I assume you ONLY purchased the hunting and the bow license.

Then you say "The tag for bow hunting shows a buck on the top left. Does that mean I can't get a doe or can I get either sex?"

DO you mean the "regular season" (gun) tag? because in the next sentence you talk about the Muzz/bow tag saying either sex

Can you recheck and clarify?

Your regular tag is only good for shooting a buck durong rifle season. Your bow/muzzle tag is good for either as long as your area allows does to be taken or antler restrictions. When i bow hunt i prefer to be in a stand it helps with scent and it allows you to be above eye level of the game you are after. Wind plays a big role in hunting so i actually bring unscented baby powder and check the wind. Other than your basic survival gear and a map or gps you should be good to go. Good luck buddy hope you get to fill your tags this year

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Unless you buy muzzleloader then you get anterless only use can use during archery ...the buck only tag is a regular gun tag you are forced to buy even if you never hunt with gun. It becomes an either sex tag late season bow.

It also becomes an either sex tag early bow, for some folks.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Unless you buy muzzleloader then you get anterless only use can use during archery ...the buck only tag is a regular gun tag you are forced to buy even if you never hunt with gun. It becomes an either sex tag late season bow.

Unless you are hunting in doe only zones. The muzzleloader season is doe only in some areas.

When you read the regs. booklet, remember to look at the "exceptions" column on the right.

In most areas, an unused regular season buck tag is valid as an additional either sex tag during the late seasons.  

So, for example, in the southern zone, if you do not bag a buck with your regular season buck tag, it is good as an either sex tag in the late bow and muzzleloader seasons (but still need a primary/first bow and/or muzzleloader privlage/tag, the regular season tag becomes a "second", either sex tag).

It does get complicated.  Especially, in the non-general norther/southern zone areas like LI, around cities like albany, etc.

Edited by Jaeger

there's a good thread or 2 here about what to pack, i'd search for it and other threads. we certainly have some dumb pissing matches here but also a lot of invaluable information. I think you're on the right track, just be patient and learn from your mistakes. You will make mistakes :)

• Like 2