What crossbow are you using this year?

Billdogge

A Barnett Vengeance upgraded with Zeiss XB75, almost got the scope dialed in.  Going with rage 100gr broadheads.

Added a crank device I just destroyed because I was so intent on getting  a sighting in shot off I didn't notice onearm of the crank hanging in the way of the string.  No injuries, but something to keep in mind, always, always make sure nothing, esp. fingers. are in way of the string.  Pulled the end of the string out of its keeper.  

Glad no injuries. They are no joke.

How are you liking the Vengeance overall? Hear mixed reviews.

It being my first and only x-bow it's I have nothing else to compare it too, but I like it.

It's a reverse draw and I'm the kinda guy who always has to have or winds up with something different.

But the reason I chose it was because it was readily available at a shop in my area and it fit me with it's interchangable butt pad.  I can put on the short pad when wearing heavier clothes, I have a short LOP.

Shoots a little noiser and with more vibration than I expected (I shoot an ultra silent longbow with 200gr broadheads) but again I have no experience with other x-bows to compare it to.

It is quite narrow across the limb tips when cocked, so that should help maneuver it through the woods.

The cheap scope it came with didn't work as far as the yardage lines matching up with the bolt trajectory. 20, 30 yard lines were on but the 40 yard line was off about 6" and I didn't check farther than that.

Overall I'm quite satisfied with it.

Excalibur Micro 330, Very Rugged bow. I also have the Barnett Vengeance with the Cranking device installed, I liked the balance of a Reverse Draw crossbow, but it's accuracy doesn't compare to the Excalibur. Excalibur is much more rugged, and I tend to be rough on my equipment. Although I never had any problems with the Barnett.

• Like 1

Excalibur Micro 330, Very Rugged bow. I also have the Barnett Vengeance with the Cranking device installed, I liked the balance of a Reverse Draw crossbow, but it's accuracy doesn't compare to the Excalibur. Excalibur is much more rugged, and I tend to be rough on my equipment. Although I never had any problems with the Barnett.

CPD1670  where do you park the cranking draw bar/hooks after its cocked?  

The kit doesn't have a holder that fits the vengeance stock so I just was snugging it up to the front scope ring.  Thats why it sagged and got snagged by the bow string.

Do you pull it back up and over the scope after using it and let it sit against the stock?

Barnett Recruit with 125 gr blackout mechanicals.   It shot a little flatter last year with a new string.  Shot pictured was 6 pt buck thru heart at 59 yards.  I only had 8" of penetration, so I will limit shots this season with it to 50 yards.  I picked up a range finder to help make sure.  

Sighting in a week or so ago, firing from a rest, every shot to 52 yards struck within 1" of the point of aim.  Using the factory red/green dot sight, the top dot was right on at 20 yards, the middle at 30, and the lower at 45.   Last year when it was new, the top dot was good to 40 and the middle on at 50.   I estimated the buck, who's heart is pictured, at 50 and my 59 yard shot hit about 6" below the point of aim using the middle dot.  That was rather fortunate as the 8" penetration at that range centered on the lungs would probably have only got one lung and would have been a more difficult recovery at best.

Until NY state gives the crossbow full inclusion into archery season, the $250 I spent is all I am going to fork over for a crossbow.   I will settle 2 weeks and a 50 yard effective range until then.     

post-5805-0-87244900-1444950180_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...