40 years later I got one

After 40 years I finally got a lead on a pristine Winchester 52D and put money down on it!!

I fired my first round at a suburban gun club located in a bunker like building in Nassau county back when I was 12.  The got me signed up with the NRA and I bought my first brick of Win. T22's.

We shot Winchester 52 target rifles, I probably shot the 52b's, the better C models being reserved for the older kids in the youth division.  I would sit in the little lounge reading old american hunter's and riflemen while they made plans to take their target rifles up the first of september for squirrel hunting trips up to that magical place I knew little of, the Catskills.  I was too young.

I also listened to them speak in hushed tones about a gun called the Winchester 52D, the holy grail of target rifles for them.

It stuck in my mind and I've kept my eye out for one ever since.  I saw one or two come up for sale over the years but they were CMP destroyed releases or way too expensive (or so I thought).

I'm not getting any younger, and turning back more to old wood stocked rifles, so when one in pristine condition, completely unmodified came up, I bit.

I know it's old, heavy, open sighted, etc.............but it's a 52D!!!!!

Can't wait to have it arrive.  Like a kid at christmas all over again.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

The Winchester 52 is one of my favorites also, I have a B heavy barrel target and a couple of the Winchester repro sporter 52s which are really nice and shoot well.

Here is a picture of the old gal, pretty close to the same age as me LOL. Also a target with one of the better groups I shot which was pretty good for me. ;)

52b.jpg

2009-03-14_072158.jpg

Okay, so I was lost from the beginning of your story about this rifle. Kudos to you for making me search for info on it! Very cool and older 22 rifle. If video is correct, only 750 model 52Ds were produced & available to the public. So to get one in all original & pristine condition, definitely a Holy Grail find. Did find this interesting video from Larry Potterfield (Midway) on the Win 52's history. FYI -About a 5min video and at ~3:38min mark is the 52D reference.

Edited by nyslowhand