Letchworth

DanielT

Here some places to start on the east side all are on river rd. but you may run into other hunters. The power lines, the Y where river rd. goes into the park, the trail that goes down to the river flats if you get a deer down there it’s all up hill. Also you may want to look for a corn or bean field then find the nearest trail head and get behind the field in the park and wait for the deer to come out of the field. Remember there is a antler restriction in the park.

The park is a great hunt, bunch of guys on my dept. do an annual bow hunt there ,some have hunted the park over 30 years. We have many spots on the river bottom , some of the stands have tires and other junk in the branches above them from when the river was high.

I know guys who rent the cabins for over a month( different guy renting each week ) they have Rent a center bring furniture and big screens.....

We bring a deer cart and a rope system to set up a 4 to 1 to haul the bucks up.... I think just packing out the rack and meat would be easier.

Fun times ! Our hunt is coming up fast, if anything of note is taken ill report back .

The park is a great hunt, bunch of guys on my dept. do an annual bow hunt there ,some have hunted the park over 30 years. We have many spots on the river bottom , some of the stands have tires and other junk in the branches above them from when the river was high.

I know guys who rent the cabins for over a month( different guy renting each week ) they have Rent a center bring furniture and big screens.....

We bring a deer cart and a rope system to set up a 4 to 1 to haul the bucks up.... I think just packing out the rack and meat would be easier.

Fun times ! Our hunt is coming up fast, if anything of note is taken ill report back .

With the cost of film these days a moot point, I'd expect a TON of posted pics from a trip like that.  :)

Man does that sound like a hoot!

I wouldn't worry much Jeremy K..

I have been hunting the park for 2 weeks every Nov for 6-8 years(lost track) and have wondered the west side bottoms and sides from Mount Morris to the safety zone at Castile entrance..

Lol..most of the walking was done the 1st couple years

until I got a feel for the area.

I am sure I may have ruined a few hunts, but I know for certain I pushed at least 1 nice buck to a stranger. One of them was a 140 ish 9 point.( he is on NYAntlers site)

The park is not loaded with deer but there are some nice bucks running around the woods. People that have been hunting the park for decades say that the deer pop. Us way less than in the past.Compared to hunting up in my area in the nz it is trophy heaven..:)

I have been lucky and shot a few.

Sounds fun!

If nothing else this may take some pressure off the public land I am at!

A hand cart with 1000ft cable winch ran by 2 marine batteries is much simpler. We did the same until we bought a camp and property just outside the park.  We spent enough on cabins over the years to pay for the camp.

Simple to find a spot to hunt just look for all the hang on and ladder stands all over the park, Hunted there last weekend and saw a doe with a fawn, 2 adult doe busted me by walking up behind me and a fork horn with no brow tines of course walked by me at 5 yds. or less.Also another guy with me saw a small bear.There are deer there but not like there was when I first started hunting there 20 something years ago.

• Like 1

Simple to find a spot to hunt just look for all the hang on and ladder stands all over the park.

Ain't that the truth!  I'm amazed how many tree stands I come across while scouting/hunting.  Remote hard to get to places on the river bottom are no exception. But it is state land and a nice place to hunt.

• Like 3

Ain't that the truth!  I'm amazed how many tree stands I come across while scouting/hunting.  Remote hard to get to places on the river bottom are no exception. But it is state land and a nice place to hunt.

I agree wholeheartedly. I will probably hunt Letchworth until I cannot hunt anymore.I like to give other hunters room and it has become more of a challenge to do so with all of the stands. Thankfully I have not bowhunted too close to anyone else that I know of in a long time so I must be doing something right.Good luck everyone.

• Like 1

I agree...it is very frustrating people will set up right next to you sometimes....but there is alot of woods to be hunted...so we find more secluded areas.

The park is just a beautiful hunt most every time. ...will never give it up....great getaway

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I think I'm more surprised by stands close to everything. I saw a beautiful new ladder stand in what I consider to be a quite populated bit of state land recently, very easy to see. I would leave a $40 hang on, without any steps, but a fully accessible stand like that takes some guts :)

I agree wholeheartedly. I will probably hunt Letchworth until I cannot hunt anymore.I like to give other hunters room and it has become more of a challenge to do so with all of the stands. Thankfully I have not bowhunted too close to anyone else that I know of in a long time so I must be doing something right.Good luck everyone.

Yes Sir. On my way down to camp right now for a few days on the park. Love the idea of just having to drive a couple miles and i am just like back at home and have all the great land to hunt.

I hardly ever see any hunters where i go over to hunt.  Dont ever hunt the top and expect to be somewhat alone.  Amazing how 1 rope will put you in another world down there. 

Yes Sir. On my way down to camp right now for a few days on the park. Love the idea of just having to drive a couple miles and i am just like back at home and have all the great land to hunt.

I hardly ever see any hunters where i go over to hunt.  Dont ever hunt the top and expect to be somewhat alone.  Amazing how 1 rope will put you in another world down there. 

• Like 2

So you repel down each morning?  Then climb back up at the end of the day?  Is there a trail back up, or is it a rock climb?

So you repel down each morning?  Then climb back up at the end of the day?  Is there a trail back up, or is it a rock climb?

Some place on the park have trails. Use them and you will see hunters. Just drop off the road go down until you cant really walk any further and toss a rope over to help ya get to the next level or the bottom.  The deer walk those banks like goats and they dont go straight up and down when they walk them they walk the sides left a ways then right a ways until they reach the top.

I always said whitetails on the park have a little goat bred into them. They will get in spots where 99.9% of the hunters would never dream of going and lay right in the wide open,  I like those spots.

• Like 4

But how do you get back up, if you repel down?  Rock climb back up, or find a trail that goes back up to make it easier?

As one park told us.... " You are using the rope as a guide right?. Repelling in the park is illegal"

I know most place that we use a rope are not really cliffs , just too steep to safely ascend or descend without something to hang onto.