Rifle Caliber- Which would you choose?

pitweiler

If you were buying a new rifle for shooting slightly bigger game than whitetail (think elk, moose, etc...) and for longer range whitetail hunting (250-350yds, so rare shooting, but we all need reasons) out of these which would you choose? All rifles are Ruger 77 Hawkeye.

.270 Win (20in bbl), .280 Rem (22in bbl), 7mm-08 Rem (20in bbl), .308 Win (22in bbl), .338 RCM (22in bbl)

I currently have a .243 Win (primary deer rifle) .30-30 Win, and .30-06. I really have all my bases covered, however my .30-06 is an old Savage 111 with flimsy stock and it's heavy, like almost 10lbs with a scope. Looking for something around a .30-06 in power, but with better fit and finish. I'm really leaning toward the 338 RCM. Even though the ammo can be hard to find it can be reloaded. Even if I can't obtain the velocity Hornady does with their special powders (handloading), I'll still have about a 338-06 type rifle in a short action. The 20 inch .270 Win is also intriguing. I read a bunch about people handloading 130gr bullets at 3000+fps from a 20 inch tube.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

OR....

Would you take your funds, send the .243 Win (Ruger 77 Hawkeye) off to Manners for a fiberglass/graphite stock weighing 25oz, then send it to someone for a re-barrel to .260 Rem or .338 Federal or RCM (leave as a .243?), then to Robar for a full NP3 treatment.

First world problems. Ha-ha. Thanks guys!

Edited by pitweiler

If you were buying a new rifle for shooting slightly bigger game than whitetail (think elk, moose, etc...) and for longer range whitetail hunting (250-350yds, so rare shooting, but we all need reasons) out of these which would you choose? All rifles are Ruger 77 Hawkeye.

.270 Win (20in bbl), .280 Rem (22in bbl), 7mm-08 Rem (20in bbl), .308 Win (22in bbl), .338 RCM (22in bbl)

I currently have a .243 Win (primary deer rifle) .30-30 Win, and .30-06. I really have all my bases covered, however my .30-06 is an old Savage 111 with flimsy stock and it's heavy, like almost 10lbs with a scope. Looking for something around a .30-06 in power, but with better fit and finish. I'm really leaning toward the 338 RCM. Even though the ammo can be hard to find it can be reloaded. Even if I can't obtain the velocity Hornady does with their special powders (handloading), I'll still have about a 338-06 type rifle in a short action. The 20 inch .270 Win is also intriguing. I read a bunch about people handloading 130gr bullets at 3000+fps from a 20 inch tube.

Thoughts?

I probably wouldn't choose any of the caliber you list for game slightly bigger than whitetail, most especially if you are talking about Elk or Moose.  The .338 might be the best choice you list, but if you don't handload, there isn't much of a selection for you out there.  Try finding a store that carries them, especially if you are in the middle of nowhere.

I'd stick with proven cartridges like the .30-06 (which you already have, so why not use it?), or the 7MM mag, .300 Winchester or Weatherby Mags, or even the .338 Winchester Mag, which you'll have a much easier time finding ammo for than the .338RCM you listed.  The calibers you list, besides the .338 are mostly on the low-end of the spectrum for game like Elk and Moose. 

• Like 1

For all those uses it is hard to beat a 30-06 I would stay away from the Rcm the cartridge will be extinct, fell way short of claims and even with hand loads it's very hard to get to shoot well "very sad as I love to cary mine" I would also add 35 whelen to your "short list" often over looked but one of the best all around North American cartridges!

I probably wouldn't choose any of the caliber you list for game slightly bigger than whitetail, most especially if you are talking about Elk or Moose. The .338 might be the best choice you list, but if you don't handload, there isn't much of a selection for you out there. Try finding a store that carries them, especially if you are in the middle of nowhere.

I'd stick with proven cartridges like the .30-06 (which you already have, so why not use it?), or the 7MM mag, .300 Winchester or Weatherby Mags, or even the .338 Winchester Mag, which you'll have a much easier time finding ammo for than the .338RCM you listed. The calibers you list, besides the .338 are mostly on the low-end of the spectrum for game like Elk and Moose.

Europeans regularly kill moose with 6.5x55, so I think all the rounds listed are more than enough.

I do reload, though not frequently. I'm starting to think my .338 or .260 re-barrel is a good idea.

.243 will drop anything from deer to elk. My in-laws have family in Colorado that use a 6mm and .243 on elk and mule deer. I would have no problem using that for anything in North America other than moose or brown bear. Also if you re-load you can get some added advantages of trying different weight bullets for that cartridge.

• Like 1

.243 will drop anything from deer to elk. My in-laws have family in Colorado that use a 6mm and .243 on elk and mule deer. I would have no problem using that for anything in North America other than moose or brown bear. Also if you re-load you can get some added advantages of trying different weight bullets for that cartridge.

if offered a quartering to shot on a large bull at 250-300 yards, a 243 in my hands would make me really question whether to pull the trigger. Actually it wouldn't make me question, because I wouldn't.

• Like 5

Europeans regularly kill moose with 6.5x55, so I think all the rounds listed are more than enough.

I do reload, though not frequently. I'm starting to think my .338 or .260 re-barrel is a good idea.

There are Whitetail shot every year with .22 caliber rounds as well, That wouldn't make me consider them and ideal whitetail round.

if you are moving into this gun for a specific purpose like an Alaskan Moose  or bear hunt, I would do some research. There are outfitters out there that have cartridge minimums for the clients.

• Like 1

That isn't my goal. I don't have that kind of scratch. Maybe an elk hunt, but even then probably just deer. As Americans we think that we need gigantic cannons to kill animals when we really don't.

Read this: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.firearms

Weren't you the OP that listed Elk and Moose as a consideration?

• Like 2

if offered a quartering to shot on a large bull at 250-300 yards, a 243 in my hands would make me really question whether to pull the trigger. Actually it wouldn't make me question, because I wouldn't.

I watched a video my father-in-law took of his cousin shooting the bull elk I think a 4x5 at 250 yards dropping it in it's track with a .243 straight quartering towards. He hit it in the chest and penetrated the heart I would imagine it also hit the spine. But like I said It wouldn't stop me from using one. My father-in-law used his 7MM Rem. Mag. and shot a 5x5 bull elk 3 times before it dropped and the first shot was dead boiler room. All 3 shots connected (2nd in the neck, 3rd front shoulder) with the animal but the problem was with the ballistic tips they were passing thru with minimal damage.

I'm not saying it is the best caliber I am just stating what I have seen first hand from people that hunt those animals on a regular basis. With the right ammo you could drop deer or bigger game with a .223.

Edited by chas0218

.243 for elk??  That would be an extremely poor choice in my opinion even with the hottest of handloads.  If you ever showed up on a guided hunt with that round you would likely be sent home

• Like 5

I watched a video my father-in-law took of his cousin shooting the bull elk I think a 4x5 at 250 yards dropping it in it's track with a .243 straight quartering towards. He hit it in the chest and penetrated the heart I would imagine it also hit the spine. But like I said It wouldn't stop me from using one. My father-in-law used his 7MM Rem. Mag. and shot a 5x5 bull elk 3 times before it dropped and the first shot was dead boiler room. All 3 shots connected (2nd in the neck, 3rd front shoulder) with the animal but the problem was with the ballistic tips they were passing thru with minimal damage.

I'm not saying it is the best caliber I am just stating what I have seen first hand from people that hunt those animals on a regular basis. With the right ammo you could drop deer or bigger game with a .223.

If you are interested in going through life as "marginal" then have at it. It is NOT the best choice for a caliber for the animals mentioned.

• Like 3

If you are interested in going through life as "marginal" then have at it. It is NOT the best choice for a caliber for the animals mentioned.

Did you read my post? I said it was NOT the best. I'm giving first hand experience or I guess good 2nd hand experience to the OP.

Personally I bought a .270win as my got to caliber for if I do go on a elk, moose, bear, deer, antelope, or hog hunt.

I have to ask have you ever shot an elk or personally know someone that has? I ask because you are recommending something you have no experience with but probably have read somewhere that someone else had done.

If you have feel free to discredit the experience I have.

Edited by chas0218

Hell, I've considered the .243 at the bottom of the heap for even deer, let's not even begin to talk about Elk or Moose.  Flame away, all you .243 aficionados!  LOL

Yea, I listed it as a maybe. Elk is more probable than moose, but AK is out of the question right now. Something lower 48.

I know the .243 will work, but is marginal for larger game. I'm hoping to put together an elk hunt out west in 2016 or 2017.

My '06 is just fine, but I want something that's finished nicer. I don't particularly enjoy the Savage ergos or the detachable magazine. I prefer stainless steel and a stiffer stock. I would like a cartridge that was as versatile as the '06, but in a short action and compatible with a 20-22 inch barrel.

Basically I want something that puts out 1500 ft lbs of energy at 350yds. Really looking for another do-all cartridge.

.243 for elk?? That would be an extremely poor choice in my opinion even with the hottest of handloads. If you ever showed up on a guided hunt with that round you would likely be sent home

A good number of them fall to .243 every year. A 90 grain E-Tip, 100 grain Partition, etc... I think it was one of Wayne Van Zwoll's favorite elk cartridge.

Think like this- if you can kill and animal with an arrow, why in the world would you need a XXX ultra-magnum as long as the bullet reaches the vitals? A 100 grain .243 bullet has a section density close to that of a 150 grain .308.

A good number of them fall to .243 every year. A 90 grain E-Tip, 100 grain Partition, etc... I think it was one of Wayne Van Zwoll's favorite elk cartridge.

Think like this- if you can kill and animal with an arrow, why in the world would you need a XXX ultra-magnum as long as the bullet reaches the vitals? A 100 grain .243 bullet has a section density close to that of a 150 grain .308.

an arrow and a bullet kill by very different means.  An arrow kills by cutting tissue and causing hemorrhage.  A bullet kills by destroying tissue by shock.  Sure, a .243 can kill an elk but it is certainly not good or even close to an ideal choice.  Why recommend a suboptimal cartridge to the OP

• Like 1