opening day

papabear

Bill Sc.,

I was wondering the same thing, what happened, how did the hunt go? Did your dog mark all the birds shot, how did he do? How did you set up - tide, time, water depth, how many decoys? Interesting you limited out on all buffleheads too! 

Bill Sciuti, (papabear). 

What about your hunt? 

The dog did OK he did not mark the bird we had to show him were it was once he saw then he locked on and retrieved all birds one was a dubble and he did good on  he like to hold the birds and when we try and take them he gets a little up set I just hold on the bird and talk to him he then lets go 

I think he will make a good retriever but its going to take time he is nothing like my old dog OZ but then they are two diffident dogs I'll be going out this coming week and hoping he keeps learning 

The dog did OK he did not mark the bird we had to show him were it was once he saw then he locked on and retrieved all birds one was a dubble and he did good on  he like to hold the birds and when we try and take them he gets a little up set I just hold on the bird and talk to him he then lets go 

I think he will make a good retriever but its going to take time he is nothing like my old dog OZ but then they are two diffident dogs I'll be going out this coming week and hoping he keeps learning 

You know what you got to do - marking drills. Get him marking before you start training him to cast. (You already are introducing the concept of casting by showing him the birds anyway, so that got a headstart in a way). 

I took him out for a bit today hes getting the idea 

I got spoiled with my first Lab OZ he was a natural loved to hunt swim and retrieve every thing

The pup is a little slower but I know he will pick it up  in time he listens well and is starting to get it