How many meals

Dom

Depends on the size of the deer of course. I like to shoot big bodied deer regardless of horns. I pay $70 to get it processed if its a fawn or a beast. I generally get 45-50 pounds of meat per deer back from processor. Not sure how many meals that equals. Trying a different processor this year per suggestion of a friend.

Who you trying in the wny area?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Was Buck N Doe. Dropped two off at The Deer Shop I believe it's called on Genesee  Was never sure I got "MY" deer back from B n D and always seemed light. I would shoot a big doe and get less than a slightly smaller one. They sometimes have way too many sitting outside and it's during a warm streak which concerns me too.

I take mine to the deer shop...love the way they package and care for the meat too...I always hoped I got mostly my deer from them but after last weekend I dropped off a huge ole doe and 1.5 year old buck...well i ended up with close to the same amount of meat back from both....I will post a pic and you can clearly see the doe should have yielded way more....but I like say to other guys looking for a processor I can't complain because the only way to know what i truely should get back if I do it myself.

I take mine to the deer shop...love the way they package and care for the meat too...I always hoped I got mostly my deer from them but after last weekend I dropped off a huge ole doe and 1.5 year old buck...well i ended up with close to the same amount of meat back from both....I will post a pic and you can clearly see the doe should have yielded way more....but I like say to other guys looking for a processor I can't complain because the only way to know what i truely should get back if I do it myself.

Yes , you would think more from that doe for sure. She's part heffer. I'll let you know how I do as my doe was quite big and the buck fair.

We have butchered them our self and still do.I had a bad exp with a local butcher/processor and the money we payed was not worth it.My question was aprox how many meals would you expect to get from 1 deer

I don't think there is a formula . You could guess I suppose. 50 pounds = 50 pound servings ?!  Although most servings aren't going to be a pound I don't think. Are you sure you didn't make that cigar a blunt ?! :rolleyes:   Just kidding

• 1 month later...

Edible meat or bone in ? Edible would mean you routinely shoot +- 212 pound deer

We always bone everything out.separate by muscle groups,etc..

In reality I have only weighed the total take from a deer a couple times out of curiosity.. Both times it was around 70#s ( I don't really remember exact #)

On the other hand, very few of my deer get weighed either.lol.. I have had them weight from a 100 to over 200# dressed.. I would have guessed my average deer weighed 140#. I reread chart and i see i missed the difference between dressed and hanging. Chart does seem a little optomistic..I think my average has probably gone down though , now that I take most of my deer downstate..ha,ha

• Like 1