Turkey decoys.

Mikeyfuzz

I have a DSD upright hen that I love. Very realistic looking. Got it for my birthday a few years back. Killed a bunch of birds with crappy old foam ones that fold up with the red stake for years before this one though. I didn't ask for the feeder or breeder as the fields grown quick and was afraid it would get lost in the grasses and unseen. Go DSD, you won't be disappointed.

• 1 month later...

I have had birds spook from the lookout...My favorite is a bobblehead feeder. A little breeze gives Miss Bobblehead a little movement and adds to the reality of the set. I often use her with an inflatable feeder..

I probably will soon invest in one of the ultra realistic hens like the Avian. I do think that the realism helps seal the deal in many cases.

A friend of mine who lives in Florida uses a regular taxidermy stuffed hen in conjuction with his custom portable blind. Most years he tags out in Florida and Georgia with his recurve bow, and his average shot is about ten yards.

• Like 1

I have had birds spook from the lookout...My favorite is a bobblehead feeder. A little breeze gives Miss Bobblehead a little movement and adds to the reality of the set. I often use her with an inflatable feeder..

I probably will soon invest in one of the ultra realistic hens like the Avian. I do think that the realism helps seal the deal in many cases.

A friend of mine who lives in Florida uses a regular taxidermy stuffed hen in conjuction with his custom portable blind. Most years he tags out in Florida and Georgia with his recurve bow, and his average shot is about ten yards.

Any pics or info of this custom blind??I have often thought about getting a hen in the fall and getting it stuffed....but thats a big bill I have a tough time swallowing!!!

Foam hen decoys are good to add in to a flock the foam jake is garbage looks like a hen but smaller with a red neck, I like the H.S Snood Decoys great detail and 50% less than Dave Smith or Avian Decoys, i'm still unsure about how the Tom decoys work i've never killed a turkey using one and never had one come to it maybe it scares them idk it may work for you though, i also have a Cherokee Sports feeding hen decoy pretty realstic for the cost (12$).

I don't use dekes a lot but when I do I just use the cheap cheesy fold up hen. Its worked more than once for me and on good toms too. 

Im thinking about getting the Avian though. Those things look so real its stupid. It might be worth the high price.

I rarely use decoys, since I don't hunt open fields much. But if I had access to a field that consistently drew birds, I would go with Dave Smith decoys, they seem to be the most realistic, I've seen hens come out & peck at them.

A friend of mine has a full-strut decoy with a tail fan that he can move up and down with a string, he swears by it. I've never seen it in action but he kills a lot of birds over it.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

Several years back--- I painted part of my feather flex decoy- orange. It was late May and A huge gobbler came to that decoy along with his hen. Yes---the hen came as well!!!  4 jakes came as well. They came as a group. I took that gobbler.   I painted the wing butts, tail, either side of the chest. I read about the (orange safety decoy ) in a book that I have. Author Jerome Robinson, I believe.   I might try that again in the future to see if I have similar results. The gobbler that I took had long and curved spurs. 4 to 5 years old, I would say.

Interesting,wonder why it makes a difference?

I like feeders if your doing a solo hen decoy, if a hen group i do all feeders but one alert/lookout.. seems most natural to me. i haven't used a decoy to kill a bird in probably 4 or 5 years now. depends on the setup really, every setup is and should be different. dont let them  figure you out.

I like feeders if your doing a solo hen decoy, if a hen group i do all feeders but one alert/lookout.. seems most natural to me. i haven't used a decoy to kill a bird in probably 4 or 5 years now. depends on the setup really, every setup is and should be different. dont let them  figure you out.

feeders not great at the end of the season for field hunting a lot of times as they get lost in the grown grasses. Tis why I opted for upright hen. And even then I have to trample down high grasses .  

My set up is exactly the same every time. For years. Sit under the same tree, decoy in the same spot.  Decoy on fields edge, there's a pinch path between two fields nearby, I sit in hardwoods about 30 yards. Only once did bird approach from behind me and not field. These birds are coming from 300-400 yards from other hard woods across fields. The adult birds I tip over aren't around to tell their friends . Only one hang up so far, had dang hen between decoy and ole Tom. Obviously my decoy didn't move but the real hen did. I killed that bird a week later with same set up.  So looking forward to having my new DSD jake get lumped up this year. It's going to be tough not to laugh. Going to wait as long as possible to pull the trigger as to see the whole show. The show is what it's all about anyhow. The bird going home with me a bonus.