New to Long Island hunting

Tamara1223

Hi everyone. I usually hunt in Bath, NY and Nantucket. This year we have decided to try our luck in Long Island. Registration is submitted but I know that doesn't mean I will be selected necessarily. Just trying to get some homework done for future reference. We just spent 3 days looking around at Sarnoff, Rocky Point, and Barcelona Neck. We were curious about West Tiana and Montauk areas too though. We ran out of time though.

***** Here is the question:

Does anyone have recommendations of any areas that you would not go to? I live in New Hampshire and just want to make the most out of the one or 2 days I may be able to hunt. Thank you. ????

Welcome to the site.  LI has some good hunting.  Rocky point gets hit pretty hard during bow season but deer always seem to be in the area.  The other spots all have a good population of deer as well, none that I would say DON'T go.  Make sure you spray your clothes with permethrin, to prevent getting ticks on you and the Lyme associated with them!  If you get picked.  Good luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, we did some research, took two more trips from New Hampshire down to Long Island. We selected an area called Hither Woods. Do you know anything about it!? The property owner only allows hunting on weekdays so there is some quiet time before we will be getting there on the 2nd Monday. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or experience with the area. I am definitely willing to work hard and not looking for a hand out .... Just friendly advice? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk