What gives

nodeerhere

Same here in 8M. I sat all day and saw a few deer but they seemed to be laying low today with the weather and there are few hunters out to get em stirred up. Very few shots heard in my neck of the woods. Every year it's less and less, but this year their seems to be a substantial drop in hunter numbers. The deer are here.

• Like 1

I noticed a substantial drop in the number of shots on the opening weekend. I hunt in 3m and the Dec gave out over 40,000 doe tags. Truth is my group has a large area covered and we're not seeing many does either. It has been a strange year. I have spoke many people across the state and I'm hearing very similar stories. I'm hunting tomorrow all day. I'm hoping for more action than I have had up until now. Good luck and be safe!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My area of 4O was hit with a large winter kill this year.  My neighbor took a walk through the woods behind his house in early spring and found 8 carcasses within a couple of hundred yards of his house.  Last deer season me and my hunting partner saw deer every day but this year was quite the opposite scenario.  He didn't see any deer in four days of hunting and I saw two bucks in the same time period.

Hopefully this winter will be kinder to the wildlife. 

• Like 1

not many guys out its like bow hunting with a gun no one pushing deer

Yup..Rut is pretty much over and during the week days there are less hunters out there to push the deer around.  I hunted 9x Sat, Sun, Mon. and Tue. Deer sightings got less and less as the weekend passed. We got 2 bucks Saturday and saw a lot of deer, took one buck Sunday and saw less deer. took nothing on Mon. and saw just a few deer, got nothing Tuesday and out of 5 of us I was the only one to see a deer. Heard less shooting as the week went on too.

We do some small pushes. 2/3 of us. I guess u can say organized walks. Only have so much property. But there are a lot of people not seeing deer. And the no deer here name!!! Ha! That's funny. Got a little story bout that. First I figured no body had used that name! And when I was younger and I use to drive deer with party's of guys we use to yell " get up deer " so I started "no deer here" kinda like cold beer here! It stuck and that's what we would walk thru the woods saying! But that got to crazy over the yrs. so it's A 2/3 man walk these days. Quiet! Or park it in a stand.

With these temps and the pressure on them a deer can lay in cover all day.

Then that's where you need to be! In the thick nasty's. Or as close to it as possible. They will move around a bit in there, even during mid day. Just got to get in with them and settle for closer shots.

• Like 1

With these temps and the pressure on them a deer can lay in cover all day.

Then that's where you need to be! In the thick nasty's. Or as close to it as possible. They will move around a bit in there, even during mid day. Just got to get in with them and settle for closer shots.

I'll be in the thick stuff this afternoon , nobodies been in there since last Monday afternoon . I'm just a bit downwind from an area the big ones stay in all day. Very hard to get much of a shot there but the payoff can be very good if you,do .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

Honestly don't think the rut is completely over just with all the shooting the majority of activity becomes nocturnal. I saw bucks chasing does this morning on Long Island where there is no shooting going on..That's about all I can say about that!!

I agree. my buddy shot a buck this morning, came across a huge wide open field nose to the ground like a beagle

It's silly to say the rut is over....It is a dynamic event, starting about the beginning of October and ending perhaps in early January in New York. Of course there are peak periods when the most estrous does are available, usually in early to mid November, but some does come in earlier, some later, and some do not get bred in their first heat and come back in about a month later. Whenever a doe comes into heat, there are always bucks willing to accommodate her.

Kinda reminds of MYSELF when I was younger...<<smile>>..

• Like 7