Back from processor.... Help.

zeus1gdsm

Alright. 80 odd dollars later and less than 24 hr turnaround and I have 38lbs of venison on my table.

post-2523-14489322748803_thumb.jpg

Now obviously I see the tenderloins. Burger, thicker larger "steaks" and stew meat pack....

Can you help me identify some of the other packs or toss some ideas my way. The rest of the packs are small pieces considering..... Next time I'll specifically ask for larger "roasts" if possible and slice my own up.

post-2523-1448932440727_thumb.jpgpost-2523-14489324744333_thumb.jpgpost-2523-14489325081623_thumb.jpgpost-2523-14489325414934_thumb.jpg

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I see a bunch of venison. The smaller cuts are most likely the flank meat (from the neck) and then some of the boneless roasts from the hind quarters cut up into boneless chops or steaks. Save yourself $80 and watch a youtube video on doing it yourself. It is much more rewarding and you cut it into what "you" want, not what someone else wants to do. I learned from my FIL and then taught a few of my buddies. If I see another deer this year and get a shot, I will make a video and post it up.

• Like 5

If I were you I would take the meat out of those "supermarket" packages and double wrap them in freezer paper. They'll last longer that way.

Agreed, and dump most of that blood too. Do you have any buddies that hunt? My FIL and BIL and I all went in together on a vacuum sealer. $33 per person to purchase the unit and then whoever gets a deer, buys the bags that year. If all of you get one, everyone buys bags and you have extra for next year, or for veggies from the garden, or fresh fish caught in the summer.

• Like 1

Thanks all... I appreciate it....

So for 85$ it should have been labeled I take it?

I got the doe thanksgiving morning and the shop was closed. It hung through till 4 the next day. And it was in the 50s. Some of the meat had darkened as it was exposed to the air. Specifically the inner thighs of the rear legs.

Based on my experience in meat departments in college the beef will darken if it isn't papered over night. Due to air exposure.

This is my first deer and with Noone to lead me I'm winging it. I can't imagine they would knowingly let me take home bad meat in this world of the Internet and rapid word of mouth.

Looking into vac packs now

My first impression was the same as most everyone else here, the color and the excessive blood in the packages. I don't quite understand your timeframe. The deer hung for twenty four hours in 50 degrees, certainly not ideal but been there and done it before. Did you keep it at least out of direct sunlight? Then you say the butcher turned it around in 24 hours and got it back to you, right? That means the meat got to you on Saturday by 4PM or so if I'm doing the math right. Now today you have the meat unfrozen and out on the kitchen table some 2 days later still.

Cut up like that means a lot of surface area exposed to and soaking in all that blood, and no telling how warm it's being kept. If it were me I would get it out of the blood, rewrap or vacuum seal, and get it in the freezer ASAP! It may just be me, but I would sniff the meat too! Over the years I've cut many deer for myself and at times helping others, and my if my sniffer raises my eyelid, I would think twice about eating it.  

PS: I see the tenderloins but don't see the back straps. 

The cutter called sat around to tell me it was ready. Couldn't pick it up until today so it sat in their cooler till today.

So shot Thursday morning. Gutted within and hour or so. Hun g from about noon Thursday till 4 Friday. Went direct to cutter... Called to say it was ready about noon Saturday. Picked it up today.

The stomach was hit a little so I flushed the crap out of the cavity with ice water. ( not from a stream)

While it was hanging it touched up around 55* caught a little bit of sun.

Anything that will be frozen has to have close to zero air in the package.

I think that's a cosmic meat law or something. :-]

A vacuum sealer is nice, but not absolutely necessary. The thin plastic baggies like they have for vegetables in grocery stores work well. Bag the meat and squeeze the air out, all of it, or at least as much as you can, then wrap tightly with freezer paper.

It doesn't look like your deer was handled well, but it may not be too late. Re-package it, freeze it as needed, and try it. It may be fine.

Best of luck.

Best way is do it yourself, use to always drop

It off to a butcher and get frustrated that I wouldn't get the same meat back. What gave it away was dropping off a yearling doe my father shot and him getting back meat tough as leather or my buddy getting back a steak with a broad head still in it (no exaggeration) I qauter it and do it at my leiuzure within the week. Know exactly what you are getting with the quality preserved. As someone said YouTube videos can teach you a lot of you don't have someone to guide you through it.