Season of no snow

growalot

I'm trying to remember the last season before this...we had no snow...yes ,here there was two days of a dusting.I'm talking at least 3" of solid cover. Deer have no need to move and look for food.Man it would have to get GOd awful now to March for there not to be a bumper crop of fawn next year.

• Like 1

I don't mind a couple fresh inches ( watch it !) , good for picking out movement in the thick stuff and tracks tell a tale we can learn from. Very good for those marginal shots no one here ever makes, to follow the sparse blood trail .

For those of us that drag deer out snow is good !

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 3

Very good for those marginal shots no one here ever makes, to follow the sparse blood trail .

For those of us who bowhunt all season (and gun guys too), snow is great for keeping track of changing patterns, and as stated about... very helpful when tracking a deer after the shot.

• Like 1

post-871-14489966924682_thumb.jpg

Hope I never have to use my new toy!

IIRC, a few years ago the reservoirs and lakes in westchester and Putnam never froze over. The following year was excellent fishing since no ice fishing took place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I like a dusting of snow where we hunt,it makes it easy to spot deer from a long distance. I remember a few years back when it snowed opening weekend of archery,trees still had leaves to hold the snow so it could build up and fall down the back of my neck, good times!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1448996692.287176.jpg

Hope I never have to use my new toy!

IIRC, a few years ago the reservoirs and lakes in westchester and Putnam never froze over. The following year was excellent fishing since no ice fishing took place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same one,it launches snow like a mo-fo ,the real downfall is how light weight the machine is . I'm in the process of adding a weight to the top of the auger housing and plan to run chains this year.

• Like 1

I'm trying to remember the last season before this...we had no snow...yes ,here there was two days of a dusting.I'm talking at least 3" of solid cover. Deer have no need to move and look for food.Man it would have to get GOd awful now to March for there not to be a bumper crop of fawn next year.

Gotta have a bumper crop of mothers before you can have a bumper crop of babies.  Most of Ny wont have that problem again next year. Yes the ones that make it thru hunting season will enjoy the weather but it wont repopulate a failing herd. Maybe in the 8's but i dont think even those areas are over populated!

I have at least 3 no doe properties bordering me...pretty sure from the night pics on cams...we will definitely have a bumper crop here.

Right so nothing will change, the state will say the area is over populated and they will shut down killing bucks and introduce muzzleloaders into the early season. That will take care of that bumper crop and the not killing doe problem. 

The state can do as they like...those

3 properties will still be no doe...and that is exactly where those big old gals are hanging out all day long. It won't be until they have a lack of food, will you see them changing and spreading out...A little over 300 acres can hold a lot of deer when that is bordered by hundreds of acres of corn and beef pasture..