Pellet rifle for Coyotes

Now that pellet rifles are considered for big game, I began to think about using the newer type for coyotes.

It will not blast the neighbors out of bed at 3 am when they start howling and hunting right outside my bedroom window.

Anyone have the newer, larger caliber pre-charged pnuematics?  

Has anyone used one on close range coyotes, 25-40yds?

Now that pellet rifles are considered for big game, I began to think about using the newer type for coyotes.

It will not blast the neighbors out of bed at 3 am when they start howling and hunting right outside my bedroom window.

Anyone have the newer, larger caliber pre-charged pnuematics?

Has anyone used one on close range coyotes, 25-40yds?

Keep in mind the legal limits for Airguns are still 500' from a dwelling. Ask for permission if you are within 500'.

IMO, a decent .25 cal PCP would be sufficient for coyotes.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I don't have a "big bore" I have a .22 gamo spring 1200 fps. I can say it does the job on rabbits and squirrels just fine at 60 yards. Sounds like you smacked a hammer. Just open the kitchen window, bench it on the table (and make sure the barrel is above the storm window frame) and plink away. 

I don't know much about the newer pellet rifles, but I do know that a Ruger 10/22 carbine, firing a Remington Yellowjacket High speed 22 LR hollowpoint bullet, will kill them cleanly, when struck behind the shoulder at ranges up to 100 yards.  That is my go-to combination for night shooting from my bedroom window over a bait pile.   It still has a crack, being supersonic, but not loud enough to wake the kids sleeping down the hall or the neighbor's.   The last one I killed that way was a 53 pound male.  He ran about 40 yards after impact, with the bullet entering the rib-cage but not exiting.   As long as you keep your shots broadside and behind the shoulder, I don't see an issue with a modern pellet rifle.  Coyotes are relatively thin-skinned.         

I'm guessing front shoulder shot that came out the gut means it only took out one lung and the liver. I'm pretty sure double lung from a 243 and the coyote probably won't as far.

87gr's is a bit heavy for coyote in a 243 IMO. Shooting a lighter, higher velocity round would be a better choice I think.

I don't know much about the newer pellet rifles, but I do know that a Ruger 10/22 carbine, firing a Remington Yellowjacket High speed 22 LR hollowpoint bullet, will kill them cleanly, when struck behind the shoulder at ranges up to 100 yards. That is my go-to combination for night shooting from my bedroom window over a bait pile. It still has a crack, being supersonic, but not loud enough to wake the kids sleeping down the hall or the neighbor's. The last one I killed that way was a 53 pound male. He ran about 40 yards after impact, with the bullet entering the rib-cage but not exiting. As long as you keep your shots broadside and behind the shoulder, I don't see an issue with a modern pellet rifle. Coyotes are relatively thin-skinned.

That's great and all, but that's not what the OP was asking.

I don't have a "big bore" I have a .22 gamo spring 1200 fps. I can say it does the job on rabbits and squirrels just fine at 60 yards. Sounds like you smacked a hammer. Just open the kitchen window, bench it on the table (and make sure the barrel is above the storm window frame) and plink away.

Speaking about spring piston type airguns, I wouldn't using a .22 for coyotes, better off using a 1.77 with a heavier pellet. Unfortunately, the only humane shot you have with such is a headshot, anything else would be a slow death for the animal.

The OP would do well with any of the high quality .30 cal PCP made out there today. Unfortunately, the price of a decent .25 cal to a decent .30 cal jumps considerably, as Crosman doesn't produce a cheap .30 cal.

Edited by shawnhu