Hunting Land Dilemma

NYBuckHunter27

The owner of the 100 acres i hunt near my home has decided they will be looking into selling the land, apparently within the next 10 years, they are in no rush and are asking a pretty penny for this amount of acreage with no real building lot on it. Anyways, i kinda had it in my mind that we would not be able to hunt the land this year, but now hearing that they are in no rush to sell it necessarily, should i go on as planned and hunt it and prepare for this upcoming season normally? i was already making preparations for looking for new hunting ground, which clearly is a challenge. So what does everyone believe i should do? other than this property i only have a 30 acre parcel behind my house, which will not suffice for bow and gun season.

My fear is that #1 it will be a free for all for trespassers because they know the land will be for sale, so loss of stands and cameras is a concern. #2 is that i am going to put work into the land, such as brush-hogging and trail trimming/hanging stands only for it to be sold by time the season rolls around.

Even if it were put on the market today, since he is asking "a pretty penny" it may be a year or two before it sells. On the other hand it could sell right away. So I would hunt the property as long as, and as often as you can. All the while, looking for the next hunting property. Also, I would hunt, while doing minimal work or improvements. Cause you may get the boot at any time. Tough situation, hope it all works out for you.

• Like 5

I would be looking for new land now.

But, It would not hurt to talk to the landowner and make an offer if possible. Stress that it would be more valuable to accept a lower offer now and put that money in the bank now, rather then wait who knows how long until it does sell. Plus you've put some improvements into the land, that might be worth some brownie points.

Money talks, BS walks. Sometimes it is hard to say no to a written offer and nice deposit check.

That question took long enough...I also have to ask if you say in the next 10 yrs and he's not in a hurry...Did you hear that directly from him? I ask because it sounds to me, IMO, If that was directly from owner to you...he may have been giving you an opening to negotiate a sale to you. Also as far as price have you looked up the assessed value? and are you sure there is no building lot? because most parcels are taxed based on at least 1 building lot,unless it can be proven different...10 yrs tells me a land contract could be worked out,depending on the ppl your dealing with and your own lawyer...and prices go down when Realtor are cut out of the process.

Now I have to ask why would you say 30 acres won't cut it for bow and gun at your place?(that's all it is, a question)...Out of our 73 acres I basically hunt 38 of it with out any issue in heavily pressured  surroundings.

That question took long enough...I also have to ask if you say in the next 10 yrs and he's not in a hurry...Did you hear that directly from him? I ask because it sounds to me, IMO, If that was directly from owner to you...he may have been giving you an opening to negotiate a sale to you. Also as far as price have you looked up the assessed value? and are you sure there is no building lot? because most parcels are taxed based on at least 1 building lot,unless it can be proven different...10 yrs tells me a land contract could be worked out,depending on the ppl your dealing with and your own lawyer...and prices go down when Realtor are cut out of the process.

Now I have to ask why would you say 30 acres won't cut it for bow and gun at your place?(that's all it is, a question)...Out of our 73 acres I basically hunt 38 of it with out any issue in heavily pressured  surroundings.

I agree there may be opportunity for you to negotiate your way into the situation long term. Are you paying anything now?? In this day and age it often takes money to secure a hunting spot. I too are curious what you consider a "pretty penny" and it just sounds like if you get creative you can possibly secure this land further. Worst case, if you make yourself valuable to the current owner chances are even if he sells the land he might be able to set it up with the new owner that you continue looking after the property (via paying money, posting, patrolling, helping, etc if it's sold to a non hunter). 

• Like 1

The hunting lease that I have been on with the guys I hunt with for at least 10 years has been for sale as long as I have been on the lease. There is a stipulation in the lease that they can sell it at anytime. I used to worry about it thinking it would stink if they sold but I don't even think about it anymore. I plan on trying to make a little food plot this year by my stand for the first time. If it actually does sell for what the owner is asking...I will figure it out then....

I'm with some of these other folks on this one. Not sure what your financial situation is but I would say definitely worth talking with the landowner and maybe you could work something out to buy it, or even a piece of it. Otherwise, network to find more land to hunt and hunt the he!! out of it in the meantime. "it's all good 'til it ain't no more".

Yes i spoke directly to the land owner, as it is a family friend. Not willing to accept just the taxes payed for the year. They will be selling their house and another 16 acres eventually (10 years) and that is why there is no rush to sell the 100acres at this time, meaning they arent taking low offers, they have a set value in mind. It has the frontage for a building lot what i ment is that there no cleared area yet for a building lot, it is zoned agriucultural/residential i believe. I think it will take the right sort of person to buy the land probably a city person looking to move out in the country or someone who is willing to spend alot on a piece of land just for hunting.

$125,000 all woods/ swamp. has gas well rights but no actual building lot

I am gonna go out in a limb and say there is most likely timber value on this 100 acres unless he just had it logged...get an estimate of what type of timber value and pay a reduces cost if the owner has it logged and keeps the money....or buy it and log it asap to pay down a chunk of that 125,000.00

It is quite possible you could chop that 125,000 is half with one short logging session..plus it will help your deer hunting as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's hard to say from a post on line what I could be worth. Farm land around mine is going for close to 4k an acre , yet a half hour away my buddy picked up 60 acres for 1k an acre.

It was oddly shaped with little road frontage , long and narrow and a steep slope , scrub land no use for farming or development = little value . Swamp = little value .

Myself I have little to zero interest in any land that has wet lands ( swamp ) to,many epa horror stories , and little chance of increasing values .

For 125 k you could fly around the country for the rest of your life hunting the best deer county in the U.S., you would be eating fine steaks and drinking beer while they gut and process your trophy . Heck if you were half way good at investing you could do it off the yearly return off 125k while maintaining the principal .

• Like 2