4 Reasons For A Deer Hunter To Be A Grouse Hunter

Mr VJP

I personally would rather grouse hunt than deer hunt if there is a population. In this area you could walk all day or even days & not see or hear a grouse. Used to get into them years ago in the Tug Hill & Watertown areas but hunting them around here is a complete waste.

It is a shame to because it is about the only "wild" game the wife will eat.

There is a good population in my hunting area and I hunt without a dog. Two birds a day is the norm, but hiking far and wide to get them is also the norm.

Pretty much the same here too. We have quite a few, but without a dog it takes a good bit of shoe leather to put a couple in the field jacket pouch. But if I were a better shot, I wouldn't have to walk as far either. I miss more than I shoot.

• Like 1

I consider myself a pretty good shot on grouse since I kill about half the birds that actually give me a shot.  I don't count the ones that I hear flush but can't see, or the ones that flush far out.

Edited by Mr VJP

I think the tone here is to intentionally diminish bird dogs or provoke an argument. 

Fact is, how many birds that you shoot do you recover?

Then, even the RGS says: "ruffed grouse are a solitary bird" - yeah they are, except during the autumn when the bulk of grouse hunting occurs. 

Hunt with a dog - you might learn that when one bird gets up there are 5 or more that sit tight or get up behind you when you chase the first one. That is why training a dog to stop to flush is so important in any bird dog, but particularly so for a grouse dog.

And yes, the north zone season for grouse starts in September pretty much so the locals without  dogs can walk paths and pick off 16 week old grouse (or younger)  out of trees or along paths with a pellet gun or .22. In that scenario retrieving is easy without a dog.  

I shoot well above the national average of 7 shells per mourning dove, however, when it comes to grouse, I would be closer the the state average. I even hit teal and wood ducks more readily than grouse. When I hunt ducks, with a 6 bird limit,  I carry 10 shells. When I hunt grouse, limit 4 in NY and 2 in Pa,  I load my pockets to the brim with shells. 

Edited by mike rossi
  • Like 1

I have been successful in hunting with or without a dog. A properly trained dog will with no doubt increase your odds and downed birds recovered. Hunting with a bird dog makes no one any less of a hunter. In fact the amount of time and dedication to your dog may make you more I touch as a hunter as you have a year round project to keep your parter At the top of their game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well kinda...Cant say a dog makes you more in touch as a hunter but sure does make life easier and maybe with some make them look like a better hunter than they really are. I mean they find the game.show you where to get ready to shoot and go get it after you shoot it?  Kinda takes the hunt out of the hunter if ya look at it that way.

I think the tone here is to intentionally diminish bird dogs or provoke an argument.  

I don't believe any of this assumption is true.  I think you tend to read posts with a jaundiced eye.

Why don't you just add your 2 cents on the benefits of hunting with a dog instead of coming from an adversarial position right from the start?  

Hunting grouse with a dog has many advantages.  However, owning and caring for a dog all year long also has many disadvantages.  If a man is willing to do what is required when owning a dog to hunt grouse a few times a year, good for him.  Someone who hunts grouse without a dog shouldn't be judged to be less of a grouse hunter.

I for one do not think going without a dog makes anyone less of or more of a hunter. To each their own and owning and training a dog is definitely a losing investment.if looked at form only a monetary stand point. I guess when I said more in touch I should have said more invested. Running a bird dog or any hunting dog for that matter is way more than just buying a dog. Until you own and train one the rewards really aren't understood I guess?

Edited by 16. ga hunter

owning and training a dog is definitely a losing investment.if looked at form only a monetary stand point. I guess when I said more in touch I should have said more invested.

I don't look at it that way. My dogs are not freeloaders, they have a job in the field and around the house. People have lived with dogs for thousands of years, because they provide us services. 

I don't believe any of this assumption is true.  I think you tend to read posts with a jaundiced eye.

Why don't you just add your 2 cents on the benefits of hunting with a dog instead of coming from an adversarial position right from the start?  

Hunting grouse with a dog has many advantages.  However, owning and caring for a dog all year long also has many disadvantages.  If a man is willing to do what is required when owning a dog to hunt grouse a few times a year, good for him.  Someone who hunts grouse without a dog shouldn't be judged to be less of a grouse hunter.

Pretty hard not to read with a jaundiced eye anymore.

I would not discourage someone from hunting because they do not have a dog. But I also would not discourage a serious bird hunter from getting a dog if he wants to. 

If you only hunt grouse a few times a year, then you probably do not have the level of interest to feed,  care for  and train a dog year round. But someone whose primary interest is bird hunting and  hunts more than a few times a year,  is a different story. 

Thanks for a good read and I can relate. I sounds like the author needs to stretch his legs and enjoy another part of the woods after a long deer season. A walk in the woods in pursuit of any game animal is time well spent and a learning experience. It's great exercise and the writer was saying, let my legs do the work and let me hunt these birds one on one like I do whitetails.

I am looking forward to a little grouse hunting next weekend up in the Adirondacks.  Time to get the old J Stevens side by side 16 gauge, and the # 7-1/2's packed up.    I saw a lot more up there on deer hunts last fall during the ML and Thanksgiving weeks than the year before.   With the mild winter we are having, the population should still be in good shape.   They are fun to hunt and I cant think of anything better to eat.  My wife and kid's are starting to get sick of venison and fish, and a couple grouse would be a welcome change.  I can't stand turkey or chicken, but even I would take a grouse over a another venison backstrap right about now.              

I don't look at it that way. My dogs are not freeloaders, they have a job in the field and around the house. People have lived with dogs for thousands of years, because they provide us services.

I don't look at it that way either. Hence if looked at from only a monetary stand point. My cocker is not just my hunting partner but also a valued member of my family. And the shepherd mix keeps the house safe when we are away.

I have hunted grouse with and without dogs, I just enjoy hunting with dogs better, I also find dogs more likable than most people.

One thing I do know the more time that is spent in the woods regardless of the game you are after the more educated you will become about everything if you are observant. 

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1