Owl Calls

DirtTime

Back in my early 20's I used to use and owl call as a locater. It worked pretty well.

Once I was in the general area for the first sit I would do the old "Who cooks for you...Who cooks for you." while it was still dark.

Does anyone still use one?

What are your thoughts?

• Like 3

Have it in the vest....hit an miss at best for me. Have had equal luck with a crow call as a locator.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I heard the crow call works better, just never tried one. Crows are so populated in all areas I just never thought it would do any good.

I would use the owl call to locate roost birds the night before the hunt. During the day, a crow call or even better a peacock call for a locater works well for me.

This is good if you are camping the land or live really close. If you have to drive 40 minutes to an hour, using it the night before isn't so easy.

I asked because the area in the NZ I hunt has a resident owl. For the past two summers every night we have camped up there he/she comes and visits us ever night just before dark. I have also heard it while hunting deer up there in the early mornings and heard a few turkey reply. That doesn't mean that a fake call would get them startled though.

• Like 1

I still use it quite a bit... I spent years learning to mimic the bard owls at camp and have gotten pretty good at calling with my mouth. I have called many an owl right to my camp in the evening while sitting by the fire. It is fun listening to the owls answer getting closer and closer until they finally are wooting in a tree directly above the camp before realizing they have been had. It still works well as a locator for Tom's.

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 1

I use to use a owl hooter at the crack of dawn which worked well, but now I don't wake up until the crack of dawn & go hunt. I also use a crow call with one loud blast then listen. If you call to much you'll miss the gobble.  We use to make our owl calls out of a 6oz. juice can with a piece of copper tube solder to it & blow across the 3/8" hole we drilled in one end of it, they worked pretty well.  I do the "who cooks for you" thing with my mouth pretty well also, the grand kids think I am nuts walking around doing it often. lol

• Like 1

I'll do the owl to " put them to bed" the night before a hunt. I usually try to be noisy around 1hr before dusk since they usually don't go to far. I have practiced a bunch and almost perfected the voice version... As far as crow, its my go to call after sun up for locating, also pretty good with the voice but not close on volume of the Reed call. If that doesn't get any response I start yelping.

I have one I've had for 35 years. Pretty sure it was one of the first type to get used in the wild. A Zelinski made it. It's a V8 or such type of can with brown tree bark type of camo. He's since passed but heard he was a tremendous turkey hunter. I carry it in my vest but it hasn't really fired up too many birds. Even the crow call is hit and miss. With miss most of the time.

Rob , perfect description of how to use it.

An owl hooter can work awesome to locate birds. I use them constantly when pre season locating. Look at the Harrison Hootin stick. James Harrison just got first at the Grand Nationals in Nashville and it's not the first time., he has a you tube video out that shows usage, the laugh during owl calls gets em best. Remember keep your calls short, Midwest turkey supply sells the calls as does Hooks custom calls. You can buy the call in multiple woods fairly inexpensively or go even cheaper n get synthetic

My natural voice owling is not that great, and my results have not been that great as far as getting gobblers to sound off..I have tried a couple of owl hooters and they aren't that great either.

However, I have a couple of buddies who can owl VERY well, and I have been impressed with their results...Once again, sometimes a general approximation of a REAL call will get results, but day in and day out AUTHENTIC calling gets the job done...The guys who sound like a REAL turkey get results..The guys who sound like a REAL owl, get results..

I don't use locators on an everyday basis, but personally I have had best results with a good,LOUD, raspy open reed crow call.

Awesome !!! Guessing you've had that call for many a years too ? Heard a story of he and his brother setting a "flock" of decoys in a field one foggy morning. They left .came back and couldn't ever find them again. Something to that effect.

The only other owl hooters I've owned............

P.S Olt on right and Primos on left: (the Olt was modified long ago but I was never thrilled with it, hence the Primos purchase)

IMG_7615_zpshvat7mr4.jpg

This is the go-to hooter for me.  Thousands of miles on it...........

IMG_7616_zpslki0ee1o.jpg

Actually, Larry you could leave the owl call at home and just use the crow call.

Despite what many hunters think, gobblers will gobble at a crow call ( or a car horn or ANYTHING loud) well before fly down and think nothing of it.

Runnin' N Gunnin' is how I killed the vast majority of my gobblers..Actually, it was more like " walkin' N Talkin"..I would cover several miles on foot morning after morning trolling for an active bird.

I did this day after day during the spring season for many years.I was fortunate to have many hundreds of acres of land available for me to hunt.

I've slowed down the last 5 or 6 years, though...Spending lots more time sitting on my butt .

I'm really beginning to like it..I get more time for NAPS and still manage to kill a turkey now and then