Anterless Only!!

G-Man

I doubt NY state will be forced to implement that drastic measure, now that it looks like we are on-track for full inclusion of the crossbow this year, with active bills in both the Senate and Assembly. The crossbow, implemented early, is the key to getting deer numbers under control in the zones where the DEC has been struggling as of late. Elimination of the need to draw with groups of deer in close, and the silent report should make for a lethal combination, far more effective than a conventional bow or a ML, each of which lacks one of those traits. We did not see the full potential of the crossbow in the first two years of use here in NY because it was only allowed late in archery season after the bulk of the deer activity became nocturnal due to hunting pressure. If you don't want to see antlerless only in parts of NY, I would suggest contacting your Senator and Assemblymen in support of these bills.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

The crossbow, implemented early, is the key to getting deer numbers under control in the zones where the DEC has been struggling as of late. Elimination of the need to draw with groups of deer in close, and the silent report should make for a lethal combination, far more effective than a conventional bow or a ML, each of which lacks one of those traits.

The answer to overpopulation is the crossbow?

OK...........................................

• Like 6

Wrong option...Cramming antlerless-only down the throat of buck hunters is not going to work.. It may backfire on them..The earn a buck option is a much better plan IMHO, because it gives the buck hunters ( of which there are many) a viable option..

It wouldn't matter to me, personally, because as long as I can shoot a doe or two a year for the freezer, I could care less if I EVER shoot another buck, but to MANY hunters, shooting a buck is a very important goal. To a significant number of those hunters, shooting a BIG buck is very important, and doe-only regulations are not going to change that. I suspect a backlash involving hunters refusing to shoot does is more likely.

• Like 9

I have nothing against crossbows...I could give a rat's patoot either way on that subject..

But if you think legalizing crossbows across the board is going to solve( or even affect) deer population issues, you are dreaming..

• Like 5

I have nothing against crossbows...I could give a rat's patoot either way on that subject..

But if you think legalizing crossbows across the board is going to solve( or even affect) deer population issues, you are dreaming..

didn't the two week antlerless only bow season in some parts of NY already fail miserably the first year it was imposed? 

• Like 1

The reason the two week antlerless only season failed miserably in those zones is because it was limited to conventional archery tackle and that is the least effective legal means for controlling antlerless deer. It can be very effective for killing bucks, which usually travel alone, meaning all you have to do is wait until his head is behind a tree to make the draw. It is a different story with does however, as they almost always travel in groups in these overpopulated zones, making that draw a difficult proposition at best.

A drawn crossbow can be very slowly positioned for the shot, not alarming any in the group. That, and being able to use it at the very start of the season changes the dynamics of the situation completely. I actually feel a bit sorry for the antlerless deer this coming season, if these bills pass. They will never know what hits them, probably bringing populations under control in a single year. To reduce the populations significantly, the mature breeder does must be targeted (the last deer taken by wolves per the laws of nature). Once the DEC gets a handle on populations they can keep them where they want them by the number of DMP's they issue the following season. Full inclusion of the crossbow seems to me to be the best way to help them get that handle. Thankfully, it finally sounds like we will find out this year.

• Like 2

The reason the two week antlerless only season failed miserably in those zones is because it was limited to conventional archery tackle and that is the least effective legal means for controlling antlerless deer. It can be very effective for killing bucks, which usually travel alone, meaning all you have to do is wait until his head is behind a tree to make the draw. It is a different story with does however, as they almost always travel in groups in these overpopulated zones, making that draw a difficult proposition at best.

Can you please explain this?

What exactly is 'conventional archery tackle'?

So you are saying a crossbow is only effective for killing bucks but not anterless deer? LMAO!

• Like 1

Hmmmm...Sounds like the crossbow may be an instrument of Divine Intervention..

Maybe so... However I'd like to get the opinion of hunters in the many states and provinces where the crossbow has been legal for years.. I don't recall too many hunters in these places saying that the crossbow was all THAT much more effective than conventional archery tackle.

I don't have a dog in this fight, since I have no interest in hunting with anything that doesn't burn powder.

Can you please explain this?

What exactly is 'conventional archery tackle'?

So you are saying a crossbow is only effective for killing bucks but not anterless deer? LMAO!

Backwards xbow easier for doe than compound

No and he has a valid point....he's talking compound and it's true...a buck is much much more likely to be alone or dogging a doe to point nothing else matters than a doe is....doe travel in groups making it harder to draw a compound I have had it happen many times....get busted by one the the many pairs of eyes on you bc they all can't be behind a tree.....a lone buck will likely give more opportunity to draw....thus a xbow would likely increase opportunity to kill does as you don't have to draw

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edited by stoneam2006
  • Like 3

A drawn crossbow can be very slowly positioned for the shot, not alarming any in the group. That, and being able to use it at the very start of the season changes the dynamics of the situation completely. I actually feel a bit sorry for the antlerless deer this coming season, if these bills pass. They will never know what hits them, probably bringing populations under control in a single year. To reduce the populations significantly, the mature breeder does must be targeted (the last deer taken by wolves per the laws of nature). Once the DEC gets a handle on populations they can keep them where they want them by the number of DMP's they issue the following season. Full inclusion of the crossbow seems to me to be the best way to help them get that handle. Thankfully, it finally sounds like we will find out this year.

the antlerless season failed not because of equipment, it failed because it was basically done behind closed doors, announced late in the summer, essentially trying to force the season an antlerless only down hunters throats,  but the single greatest reason it failed is because of the single biggest issue the DEC can not control,,,, hunter ACCESS!

It doesn't matter how many tags are given, how many days are given, what weapons are allowed,,,Its pretty simple to understand that hunters can NOT kill deer they can NOT get access to.  there are far too many small parcels completely locked down for access to anyone that give a large number of deer a safe sanctuary during the season, and it doesn't take long for the deer to figure that out.  

If you think the almighty crossbow is going to bring the population under control in a single year you are delusional,  if gun hunters can not get the populations under control how are such a small number of crossbow shooters going to do it especially when a vast majority of the deer go nocturnal once season starts.

• Like 1

Hmmmm...Sounds like the crossbow may be an instrument of Divine Intervention..

Maybe so... However I'd like to get the opinion of hunters in the many states and provinces where the crossbow has been legal for years.. I don't recall too many hunters in these places saying that the crossbow was all THAT much more effective than conventional archery tackle.

I don't have a dog in this fight, since I have no interest in hunting with anything that doesn't burn powder.

yup some think its divine intervention, and some also think with the almighty crossbow, 50 + yard shots are ok.... but then again some compound shooters think the same thing.  

You hit on a couple of the key points there reeltime. The number of crossbow hunters will not be as small if these bills pass, allowing more younger hunters access. The full-inclusion part will let them out there at the start of the season, BEFORE the deer go nocturnal. The deck was stacked against the crossbow these first two seasons.

Thanks stoneame2006 for answering Robs questions far more eloquently than I could have.

• Like 2

The crossbow inclusion will not be the total answer to controlling the population. All the cries that the crossbow is such a huge advantage in archery season is usually screamed out by those who (1) never shot or hunted with a crossbow (2) don't want any other group infringing on "their" hunting season (3) can't afford one. In Pennsylvania, when crossbow was included in archery for the first time, the license sales and deer kill both fell within normal fluctuations.  I haven't harvested any more deer in PA with the crossbow than I normally would have with the bow. I suppose that in an area with excessive deer population, it may bring out a few more hunters, but I doubt it would ever be enough to solve the problem.

• Like 2

What?

Well Paula, the original post was about antlerless deer seasons in Wisconsin, so I thought I'd drop that bomb that Wisky already has a wolf population.

Since I'm dropping links tonight, here's another.

See, Wisky also already has an "all inclusive" x-bow season and they STILL can't get antlerless #'s under control.

My guess would be the wolves will flourish soon in this deer rich environment and even the x-bow guys will be left wondering if they could have done more since there seems to be a lot of backlash to this "antlerless only" proposal.

Nature will find it's own way of balancing things out if hunters don't want to do their part.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/wisconsin-crossbow-hunting-now-open-for-all

• Like 2

As for crossbow being a savior, the new legislation will require a bow course so participation may drop as not all have taken the course to use a crossbow if it passes

As this chart shows yes as participation increases so will crossbow take. But it is not the answer, that can only be done if hunters take doe, with a meat first mentality. Yes I know access is difficult so just wipe out the doe where you can...lolpost-899-0-59592300-1459252957_thumb.pngpost-899-0-59592300-1459252957_thumb.png

I doubt NY state will be forced to implement that drastic measure, now that it looks like we are on-track for full inclusion of the crossbow this year, with active bills in both the Senate and Assembly. The crossbow, implemented early, is the key to getting deer numbers under control in the zones where the DEC has been struggling as of late. Elimination of the need to draw with groups of deer in close, and the silent report should make for a lethal combination, far more effective than a conventional bow or a ML, each of which lacks one of those traits. We did not see the full potential of the crossbow in the first two years of use here in NY because it was only allowed late in archery season after the bulk of the deer activity became nocturnal due to hunting pressure. If you don't want to see antlerless only in parts of NY, I would suggest contacting your Senator and Assemblymen in support of these bills.

The crossbow is not the savior to controlling deer numbers. That is a very narrow expectation for an implement.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1