New antlers...

we have a mixture here.  most have shed.  lot of factors come into play on when a buck sheds and how quickly he grows soft antler sooner.  shouldn't effect antler growth potential much either way just yet.  in general growth is very slow right now and starts to naturally ramp up later into green up when survival with respect to body condition isn't a factor and more food sources higher in energy are available.  nature never fails.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

on the youth hunt back in April, i saw my 7.5 yr old buck and 2 younger bucks. I knew it was him because of a distinct scar he has. Late April he had dang near 3" spikes already with crazy mass, and his 2 buddies might have had an inch of new growth,. cant wait to see what he looks like in august!

• Like 1

Ahh, I see the black one now.

So by clipping branches off of hot scrapes, does that put the kibash to any future scrapping of the original spot?

You then move that clipped branch to a spot more advantages for an archery shot? I remember you did an article on the subject but I'm foggy on the details.

• Like 1

If you take the complete branch, so there is no other overhanging branch there, then yes, it pretty much kills the scrape. That's why I will clip an overhanging branch, then replace it with another one from a nearby shrub or sapling. If I want it to be "the gift that keeps giving," then next time I'm near that scrape in a few days or so, that new branch can be taken because it will be licked by bucks and does and I can then transfer their pheromones to where I want into another hunting area. As the rut peaks, bucks and does are increasingly intrigued to come into these mobile licking branch sites. To me, the ground scrape is only incidental and of marginal importance. More of a result of activity than a causal factor. But we human beings, being so visually oriented see the ground scrape and think that it is of more relevance than the little overhanging branch. But trail cam footage and photos over about 10 years is visual proof that bucks and does being the olfactory-oriented critters they are, really only care about the overhanging branch. I know that is heresy to the common marketplace idea of a scrape, but one more time I go against the stream. Like my moon theory.  :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

To me, the ground scrape is only incidental and of marginal importance. More of a result of activity than a causal factor. But we human beings, being so visually oriented see the ground scrape and think that it is of more relevance than the little overhanging branch.

How the heck do you expect me to find the things without the scrapped up ground?  My nose isn't what it used to be........................ :)

• Like 3

Ha! You are right. But to that point, some of the hottest, trashed, torn-up looking scrapes seem to produce only marginal branches while some of the ho-hum looking ground scrapes produce branches that bring in deer like a "Free Lottery Tickets Here" sign would bring in humans at a Walmart parking lot.

• Like 1