Appalachian Trail - Hike and Camp

BKhunter

No, but I have hiked a good bit of the Northville-Lake Placid Trail.  If you want to get away from people I would recommend that over the AT, I have heard there can be pretty good crowds on the AT while you will usually have the NLPT to yourself. 

• Like 1

I have hiked the entire AT in NJ and NY all of it done on weekends and by bus or train from Manhattan. Granted it was many many years ago. Get yourself the 50 hikes close to NYC book and you'll won't be disappointed.

My recommendation for a great short hike with great camping especially in the spring or fall because of the great raptor watching. Huckleberry trail in the catskills.

• Like 2

I have hiked the entire AT in NJ and NY all of it done on weekends and by bus or train from Manhattan. Granted it was many many years ago. Get yourself the 50 hikes close to NYC book and you'll won't be disappointed.

My recommendation for a great short hike with great camping especially in the spring or fall because of the great raptor watching. Huckleberry trail in the catskills.

Thanks Espresso!!! Much appreciated.

That is a good book to use as a starting point.

I have hiked pieces of the AT (day hikes) in NY and Virginia.

Bear Mountain/Harriman State park has many trails through it including the AT.

I have camped in three areas of Harriman on overnights with the Boy Scouts.

Doodletown is one area - old house foundations, the village cemetery is there.

Nice cold stream near the remnants of a garage/carriage house.

No cell service in that area (discovered that when needed to call out for a medical issue - a kid broke his arm).

Fingerboard shelter overlooks Lake Tiorati - steep hike up.  Small spring 1-2 minutes uphill from the shelter.  Some cell service there if needed.

White Bar off of Route 106 (western edge of Harriman State Park).

Bring some water with you and plan on filtering/boiling (or both) any water from streams or springs.

We used an old coffee can (#8 can) to boil the water right on the camp fire - when done, simply crushed the can to pack it out.

Not sure when you are planning on going, but right now we have fire ban - it is very dry and have seen ground fires between housing developments traveling up hill through the trees.

So streams are low or dry now most-likely.

• Like 2