Live from the turkey woods 2016

turkeyfeathers

I figured I'd start up this thread for the 2016 spring season approaching. Guys/gals may be out scouting ahead of time so feel free to post what's happening out there. Next weekend is youth hunt. I wish everyone a wonderful ,safe and memorable season. Looking forward to stories and pics.

• Like 7

Well the roost spot is still active, 3 adult birds and 7 hens roosting there last 3 nights, went in this am and let them leave and then cleared a 150 yard 2 ft wide trail and cleared out a couple tree bases In prep for youth hunt , should help with the walk in and set up keeping things as quiet as possible..

• Like 4

They look as they may be done breeding by the 1st around here, Strutters everywhere with fighting and jakes leaving off the bigger flocks. Should be an April 15th area opening day running a month.

The whole reason it's a may 1st opener is to allow most breeding to be done before season.. I kind of wish they would do the same for deer and close season during rut.. bucks would get old fast...
  • Like 1

First gobble at 5:36. 2 birds together, a couple hundred yards up the ridge. They were talking until a few minutes ago, when 2 deer snuck in on me and blew like crazy. Great to be back in the woods.

I can't wait until Saturday!

post-1188-0-81159000-1460887528_thumb.jp

• Like 4

checked out a new spot in E. Concord yesterday. Did not hear a bird, no sign in the woods of scratching ,droppings or even a feather. Owner says there are birds here as the neighbor feeds them. He says he sees them all the time. ?I'll have to give it one more try before I scratch it off my list.

• Like 1

I haven't been able to check my roost sites yet, but by the looks of the trail cam pics and the time stamps on the food plots.. they're doing the same thing they always do in spring... 

Guess we will find out Saturday morning.. good luck to all the kids!

• Like 2

They are still using my "Murder Plot" like crazy. September 2015 WI oats and WI clover planted. The Ground blind is up for the youth season this weekend, also for my fiance's hopefully 1st kill, and if im lucky and have time, ill try to take one with the bow this spring as well. Good luck all. 

post-5238-0-15326400-1461248154_thumb.jp

• Like 1