Heading for Ontario

Pygmy

Saturday morning I'll be heading the truck north for the Ontario gobbler season, which opens the 25th of April.

I'll arrive at my buddy Gator's house In Prince Edward County Saturday afternoon, and have the balance of the weekend to scout and set up blinds.

My destination is only 125 miles away as the crow flies, but since I have to drive around Lake Ontario, it's about a 300 mile trip.

I plan to hunt Monday through Friday and then drive home for the NY opener May 1st.

It's my annual "chill out" vacation..No agenda or responsibilities . Nothing to do but hunt turkeys and kick back and relax with the Canucks. Life is GOOD !

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from Ontario..

Opening day I could have shot a jake ( or 3 or 4) but I was holding out for a longbeard. I saw 2 bearded hens also, one with about a 9 inch beard and another with perhaps a 6 inch beard.

After that, I was hard pressed to even hear a gobble..Just not my year, I guess.

My Canadian buddy had better luck. Opening day he had a longbeard in range but was screwed up by a coyote at the last minute. Then yesterday morning, he killed a hog..22.5 pounds, 10 inch beard..The spurs were only 7/8 ", but the bases were huge..I think it was a solid 3 year old bird. It came racing in and attacked his full fan gobbler decoy.

• Like 2

It may be raining in the morning, but I have a nice, dry blind to sit in...

I pulled the card on the gamecam  right beside the blind today, and Holy Crap ! what a menagerie...

I have turkeys, deer, bears ( including cubs), coyotes and some other critters..

Hopefully tomorrow morning I'll have SOMETHING interesting to look at..