New York Crossbow Hunting Survey

tughillmcd

i think the aided cocking devices and unlimited draw weight shouldn't co-exist.  crossbow companies will only push the limits of materials.  won't be much different than firing a gun in some cases.  i think the aid of a cocking device can exist with crossbows with limited draw weight.  otherwise you have to pony up and draw it yourself.

definitely support it being a normal archery implement used by anyone in any season.  also it should be rolled into bowhunter course.  anyone who already has had a bowhunter privilege needs to retake course or do the certification we do now.

• Like 1

Nothing for if you like the way it is now which I do. Although I think Seniors and Disabled should be able to use all season. Basically either for against so I chose for....

yeah, I would have liked to have seen a question about the split season in the survey....but overall, pretty good.

i think the aided cocking devices and unlimited draw weight shouldn't co-exist.  crossbow companies will only push the limits of materials.  won't be much different than firing a gun in some cases.  i think the aid of a cocking device can exist with crossbows with limited draw weight.  otherwise you have to pony up and draw it yourself.

definitely support it being a normal archery implement used by anyone in any season.  also it should be rolled into bowhunter course.  anyone who already has had a bowhunter privilege needs to retake course or do the certification we do now.

The problem with the 200 lb weight limit is draw weight does not always have a direct relation to the power of the bow. A 290 lb Excalibur recurve crossbow shoots at 405 fps while a Scorpyd  VTEC with a 175 lb draw weight shoots at 440fps. As with compound bows, cam design does more for speed than draw weight alone, When referring to recurve crossbows or recurve vertical bows, draw weight is the major factor in speed.

So the 200 lb draw weight limit does not have the effect of limiting the power of crossbows that you are concerned with, but instead, only eliminates the majority of recurve crossbows presently on the market. And those recurve crossbows are not any faster than the average compound crossbow, and all are slower that the fastest compound crossbows on the market today.

Edited by tughillmcd
  • Like 2

I took it, didn't see a reason for zip codes but it's all good. Great survey and to the point questions.

I think after that question it led you to answer a question for archery only zones if it applied to your zip code area.....went back look but couldn't access the survey again.

I took it, didn't see a reason for zip codes but it's all good. Great survey and to the point questions.

Zip codes are there for legislators that want to see how many people may live in their districts when we publish the results

Edited by tughillmcd

Good survey.  The last survey a guy posted on here about hunter satisfaction in NY did not even mention the crossbow question.  Why could that be?  My guess is that he does not want to hear that the majority of NY hunters support full-inclusion of the crossbow.  I would have taken his survey if he had asked that or any crossbow question.  Now he is complaining about a lack of participation.  Go figure.