Polaris 500 Starting Problem

How is the battery?

The others could be correct that it is the starter but a battery low on juice could be just barely moving the gear to the engagement point.............

I find it extremely hard to believe that starter has gone titsup in three years.  Hope not.......

• Like 4

I fully charged the battery just before I took the video.  I live quite a distance from my property so I do not use the machine often,  I think it has about 50 miles on it. 

Original battery I assume?  You might want to put a load test on the battery JUST to be sure.

They'll EAT batteries when not used....................  :(

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Like 3

I had a sportsman 500 HO as well. Lawdwaz is right about them eating batteries. Seems even when off, the machines electronics siphon off a little juice all the time, left unattended, ends up a dead battery. Was told to either install a switch between the positive lead and starter for a "positive shut off" so to speak, or remove the battery altogether.

Its best to keep a float charge on batteries when they are not being used.I use them and never had a problem. I got over six years out of the stock battery on my sportsman and about the same on and Arctic cat I use to own. Also make sure the starter switch  ( not the key, the switch) is in the off position, when the machine is not being used.

My Yamaha 450 sounded like yours. It was a bad battery. I replace it with O.E batteries ($90+ x2) which also went dead. Batteries are made to be used often mine was not, sat around most of the time. The last time I replaced it I put in a garden tractor battery($30) from tractor supply, made it fit with a couple of cuts here & there.  That battery is going on 4 yrs. old & still going strong. Now I either put a trickle charge on it or if I know I am not going to use the 4x4 for awhile I disconnect the + lead off the battery.   I also have the same T/S battery in my mower & that one is going on 6 yrs. with no problem.