May Be Getting Back Into Deer Tracking

grampy

My hunting buddy called tonight to ask if I'd be interested in tracking again. He has a line on a good bloodline wirehaired dachshund. Her name is Xena and she is 9 months old. Both our tracking dogs died a few years ago after long lives doing what they loved to do. So we got away from blood tracking. Not sure if we will be under the Deersearch banner this time around. But will be independent and track for local hunters. Guess I better start getting in shape.

post-5587-0-76623700-1461900658_thumb.jp

• Like 15

Well that's cool you found a good tracker, but she looks a little too small to be dragging them out,lol!

Gonna need a bigger side-kick for her to practice tugging on now!

One of the coolest things I've ever seen in the woods was a Deer Search dog on a blood trail. Same breed as yours, and although we didn't recover the deer, that little pooch put all its heart into that hunt! Ended up finding that deer myself MONTHS after the shot was taken and nearly a mile away, so there's no telling if my shot was even fatal or if someone else popped it. after the fact.

Last spring at the hunters safety course, I ran into her handler educating the class on what these little guys are capable of when it comes down to deer recovery. You just can't imagine it until you see it for yourself. Her dog is now handicapped and unable to track any longer, but it's desire is still there.

Apparently there is some bad blood between her and DS that she didn't want to go into detail about.

I couldn't help but ask if she was more of a deer lover, or more of a dog lover...... her reply..., "deer lover" believe it or not!

Good luck with "Fido", and hope to hear of some successful recoveries in the future from you!

• 2 months later...

Well that's cool you found a good tracker, but she looks a little too small to be dragging them out,lol!

Gonna need a bigger side-kick for her to practice tugging on now!

One of the coolest things I've ever seen in the woods was a Deer Search dog on a blood trail. Same breed as yours, and although we didn't recover the deer, that little pooch put all its heart into that hunt! Ended up finding that deer myself MONTHS after the shot was taken and nearly a mile away, so there's no telling if my shot was even fatal or if someone else popped it. after the fact.

Last spring at the hunters safety course, I ran into her handler educating the class on what these little guys are capable of when it comes down to deer recovery. You just can't imagine it until you see it for yourself. Her dog is now handicapped and unable to track any longer, but it's desire is still there.

Apparently there is some bad blood between her and DS that she didn't want to go into detail about.

I couldn't help but ask if she was more of a deer lover, or more of a dog lover...... her reply..., "deer lover" believe it or not!

Good luck with "Fido", and hope to hear of some successful recoveries in the future from you!

It's great to hear that new hunters are getting educated on how dog/handler teams can assist in recovering wounded deer.

It's also interesting that you brought up that note on the supposed bad blood between this one woman and Deer Search.  I tried reaching out to them about learning about their group and potentially joining, but so far I haven't heard so much as a peep from them.  I'm not sure if they're closed to new members or what the issue is, but either way joining Deer Search is not required to legally track in NY, though I'm sure it makes networking and getting in touch with deer hunters looking for help a whole lot easier.

On July 21, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Padre86 said:

It's great to hear that new hunters are getting educated on how dog/handler teams can assist in recovering wounded deer.

It's also interesting that you brought up that note on the supposed bad blood between this one woman and Deer Search.  I tried reaching out to them about learning about their group and potentially joining, but so far I haven't heard so much as a peep from them.  I'm not sure if they're closed to new members or what the issue is, but either way joining Deer Search is not required to legally track in NY, though I'm sure it makes networking and getting in touch with deer hunters looking for help a whole lot easier.

What area do you live in? DS is not all over so maybe they don't cover that area but in my experience they have been motivated to find new members. Send me a PM and I can put you in touch with the president of the Finger Lakes chapter. Good people who work mighty hard. 

Cool Grampy!!

Wish you were closer or I could travel, Schatzie (5 1/2 yr. old Drahthaar) would love to have had you help train us.

Schatz and I haven't had the opportunity to even try to track a real blood trail tho' she is good on mock trails..  Everyone up here seems to drop 'em at their feet or within 30-50 yards.

Have you kept your license up?  I think they are on a 5 year renewal nowadays.

On 7/24/2016 at 0:17 PM, JFB said:

What area do you live in? DS is not all over so maybe they don't cover that area but in my experience they have been motivated to find new members. Send me a PM and I can put you in touch with the president of the Finger Lakes chapter. Good people who work mighty hard. 

I might consider that.  I'm really not too keen on the membership dues or the initiation process, but I'll see how things shake out this coming season.

12 hours ago, Jaeger said:

Cool Grampy!!

Wish you were closer or I could travel, Schatzie (5 1/2 yr. old Drahthaar) would love to have had you help train us.

Schatz and I haven't had the opportunity to even try to track a real blood trail tho' she is good on mock trails..  Everyone up here seems to drop 'em at their feet or within 30-50 yards.

Have you kept your license up?  I think they are on a 5 year renewal nowadays.

There are a few Drahthaar's in Deer Search. And by all accounts they are excellent blood trackers! The tracking license is now $50, when I first got mine it was $75. So even in NYS once in a blue moon, a fee goes down!

If Schatz is doing good on mock lines she will do ok on the real thing. Even if you take her on a short track when you have already found the deer it is valuable experience for her!  Even go so far as drag the deer out and leave it. Then take her to where the deer was shot and let her "track" until she "finds" the deer. Believe me it won't take her long to catch on! Best of luck !

• Like 2

That's awesome news, Grampy!!  I know Xena's bloodline and for sure you won't be disappointed!! I'm looking forward to watching your exploits.

QDMA recently shut down their forum (STUPID decision) and a lot of members went to this one. You may be interested in the "deer tracking dog" section where trackers are going to post stories of tracking jobs.

http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?forums/deer-tracking-dogs.17/

• Like 1