Multiple Hunters In 1 Party Question

DirtTime

I would spread out if hunting a large enough area.If hunting together/same blind take turn's or you could play spin the bullet and the one that has the most brass toward them is the shooter.For myself I would do the calling and let my fellow hunters do the shooting/killing.

I would say to get all 3 to sit perfectly still and not get seen would be a feat in itself. 2 would be ideal. I've hunted with my nephew and we both called and my brother and both called. I killed a bird both times. Nephew was supposed to shoot but his sling bumped the stick blind and bird got spooky so I let her rip.

• Like 1

I have hunted with my father and his friend whom are both way better turkey hunters than I and the 3 of us been successful on many occasions hunting as a team. We have even gotten a triple. 2 or 3 guys that know how to call can be very convincing. Setup is the most important part because you have to be able to conceal all of the bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For alot of turkey hunters, calling a bird in for a partner is just as fun as being the trigger man.

Even with three people, it's not that hard to have a caller tailing behind or away to a pair that is set up.

• Like 2

I would never call for anyone. I am not that good. LOL.

Of the three birds I have killed, one was when I was 14 and I wasn't calling, the other two I was calling for myself and feel I just got lucky.

I think about different scenarios at times, and wonder what other hunters would do or have done in that situation. Sometimes I ask, and other times I just keep the question to myself.

Been some good info and interesting replies to this thread. 

I have called in birds with as many as 4 hunters in my group. Usually we fan out in a line focusing on where we believe the bird will come from. We have shot 2 birds occasionally this way. I will call and let the young bloods do the shooting. Most times we hunt with 2 guys , and spread out to cover more area. But either way is fine. Just more people means more movement but that's a given. Good luck to all n be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did this a quite few times before when there's a few guys on one smaller parcel. We kept the calling to a minimum. and rotated the calling around per position, especially if there is a bird gobbling..  Every half hour or so just a few soft calls, if nothing was answering. kind of like a hen or 2 monkeying all around the field. and we would communicate via text in case one of us heard a bird answer. We helped each other several times call in a bird for the other guy to kill. We've also killed 3 birds in one morning in each setup lol 

If 2-3 of us plan to hunt the same smaller parcel, we will just sit together. Who calls and who sets up for the shot depends on a few things. Does hunter #1 only have a couple days to hunt this season? Has hunter #2 already shot a bird and the other 2 guys haven't yet? etc.... From there we usually let the best caller do the calling. But it is always discussed that no matter who calls and who shoots, if things get hairy, SOMEONE needs to take the bird. I hunt with great guys that are very un-selfish. a bird down is a win for all of us!

I've successfully called w 3 people before. Always though w novices, kids, new hunters, etc.

Makes it easy, I'm calling n mentoring the others so they do what I ask. This past weekend was no exception, called in a Jake for my nephew, first time out w him n his second attempt. My brother was there w a gun but he's new n waited for his son to shoot.

That's another thing the when to shoot or who shoots what. Left guy shoots left birds, right guy right birds. Same be it ducks, turkey, upland birds, etc.

if the hunters can all call I see zero reason to lesson anyone's odds by going in a group. To me turkey is a solo sport when not mentoring.

Edited by Bowguy 1

I would never call for anyone. I am not that good. LOL.

Of the three birds I have killed, one was when I was 14 and I wasn't calling, the other two I was calling for myself and feel I just got lucky.

I think about different scenarios at times, and wonder what other hunters would do or have done in that situation. Sometimes I ask, and other times I just keep the question to myself.

Been some good info and interesting replies to this thread.

Rob get one or two of the Lovett Wiliams CDs. They explain a lot n you can practice while listening n try n match sounds. Lots of good birds in woods. We call em birds that wanna die today. Find one of them n you're calling confidence will go way up. Good luck

• Like 1

Rob get one or two of the Lovett Wiliams CDs. They explain a lot n you can practice while listening n try n match sounds. Lots of good birds in woods. We call em birds that wanna die today. Find one of them n you're calling confidence will go way up. Good luck

I'm not bad at calling. The two birds I called in for myself were before most people had access to the web and cassettes were the instructional audio that you could get. Just don't have the practice and time of most turkey hunters. I took a hiatus from hunting for a lot of years.

To freshen up I didn't need to buy any CD, YouTube was most helpful, and I could see the hand position.

I am confident in my calling.

I do appreciate the tips though Bowguy 1.