Chucks

What do you do with them?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Depends. Got one farmer that likes to eat them but the others either want them tossed out or stuffed back down the hole. They tell me to do anything I can to get rid of them.

what cal is the gun. I use a 22-250 700rem Varmint special with a 12power. the most I have ever shot in a year was 148 the farthest I have ever killed one was range at 629 yards I have tried shots at 800yds with both the 22-250 and a 6mm but have missed all 8 shots but I have come close.

When I was a young fellow chucks were many more in number than what I am seeing these days. Back then I was an unrelenting chuck hunter and loved it. A great way to learn range estimation and long range marksmanship in the field.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

nice pictures.  I've only managed to get out twice.  first time was too early in the year with not much out yet.  didn't see anything.  second time out I managed to get a handful.  more out there I never got a chance to pull the trigger at.  l like bubble level ring you've got on your scope.  I've thought about getting one.  probably definitely helps with the 17HMR.  seems like our area has an abundance of chucks with all the hilly terrain and broken up fields.  keep at it!

How do you like it...I've been looking at them regularly

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I really liked the idea of a semi 17 when I saw it was coming out last year. I waited on it for a little while but finally decided to buy it at the beginning of the year despite seeing numerous negative reviews. I figured I'd give it a shot. I've been very happy so far. I haven't had any of the magazine issues that I saw online, the cycling has been nearly 100% reliable (2 FTF's out of maybe 400 rounds) and it will shoot 1 hole 3 shot groups at 100 yards if I do my part.

And as far as the hunting has gone it's been great. I've only missed 2 chucks so far which I'm sure was shooter error. I also killed a fox and a coyote with it earlier in the year.

Overall it's a keeper in my mind.

• Like 1

l like bubble level ring you've got on your scope. I've thought about getting one. probably definitely helps with the 17HMR.

My 2 nikons have the BDC reticles so holding the rifle straight up and down can be a big deal at longer ranges. All I have to do is open my left eye and the bubble is right in my field of view. Close my left eye and get back on target, then make the shot. I also have one on my 223 that has a Nikon P-223 on it. It can really make a difference when trying to make those 500-600 yard shots.

29a0b71e6249544d13f50a34abf53aa0.jpg

Here is what I see in the scope of my 17, minus the number values. But all I did was have a sticker made up with this image on it and stuck it to my butt stock for quick reference. You can see it in my first pictures on the rifle. 130cd5165b3224c692503626c73a9a6f.jpg

Buds Gun Shop got me with their 180 days to pay program a few weeks ago and I snagged a Ruger American in 17hmr for like $300. My will power is weak when it comes to guns. It'll be interesting to see how the two measure up.

68a9f3aa92af28c621898190b34b8fea.jpg

Nothing fancy today. Just had access to dads old deer rifle. Shoots true but 30-06 is a bit much for a chuck. Only one I saw today. Still not feeding as frequent. Evenings best right now but only had time mid day.

6d15a163d1ac060724cd88f1ae08230d.jpg

• Like 1

A 22 LR in an accurate gun will work well for hunting Chucks at shorter ranges and around populated areas where a high powered rifle may cause problems with noise. Ammunition is a critical factor and the differences in 22 LR performance can be huge. When hunting Chucks with a 22 LR I like using one of the so called Hyper Velocity types such as CCI Stingers Remington Yellow Jackets or CCI Velocitors etc, they have a big edge in killing power over the standard stuff. Some rifles will have a definite preference for one brand-type or the other so it is wise to try them out and see what works best in your particular gun. As for range I have found that about 100 yards and under I get reliable kills with the 22 LR with good shot placement which is also critical because Chucks pound for pound are one of the toughest animals to kill and anchor in it's tracks for their size.

Al

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Al, much appreciated. The .22lr's I used in the past shot pretty well with the Remmy Thunderbolts at the range, but the few times I did hunt with them I always used CCI Stingers. Both were Marlin, one was a bolt and one was a semi-auto. That was a long time ago.

Figure I may as well get some use out of my M&P and hunting chucks sounds like it might be fun with it. Just going to have to get a decent scope.

Thanks for the info Al, much appreciated. The .22lr's I used in the past shot pretty well with the Remmy Thunderbolts at the range, but the few times I did hunt with them I always used CCI Stingers. Both were Marlin, one was a bolt and one was a semi-auto. That was a long time ago.

Figure I may as well get some use out of my M&P and hunting chucks sounds like it might be fun with it. Just going to have to get a decent scope.

I agree stick to high velocity 22LR rounds at least.  Some rifles are finicky for accuracy with the hotter stuff like Velocitors.  Anything over 1200 fps.  Try for head shots.  A lot of times you'll have them peaking out with only their head anyway.  Like Airdale said they're tough.  they can crawl back into the hole to die which isn't good for multiple reasons.  mornings and evenings are best now but as the summer carries on they'll come out more often to gorge and put on the pounds before winter hibernation.  you'll probably get busted and one will scurry back and dive into it's hole.  just set up on the hole from a different angle and it'll probably be back out 20 or so minutes later if in the morning or evening.  during the hot noon summer it might not.  if it's hot and dry, after a rain shower passes through is a good time.  Don't go alone.  Take turns at shooting and spot for the other.  great practice for fidgety youth hunters as they give you time.  great trigger practice for any hunter before fall too.

....bring sitting height shooting sticks, binos, and one of those cheap foam/therma-seat pads to sit on.  otherwise there's usually nothing else to rest on or against.  you'll get sick of raising your gun to check a little clump of brownish grass.  the seat pad will keep you comfortable and dry.  attach it right to your back belt loop.

• 2 weeks later...