Turkeys. Have you missed ?

turkeyfeathers

I'll fess up. Clean miss years ago. Bird was close and pattern tight. Right over his head it went. I aim head and not waddles Gun sighted in to have bottom of pattern throttle him. I looked for 2 hours in Mayapples just in case I rattled him with a few. He took to wing very nicely after shot. Pretty sure I killed him 1.5 weeks later from same set up. Came in silent

Last year I pulled the trigger at 30 yards and bird flinched a bit , ran 6-8' and buried him with second shot. Daughter then found wadding right in between where we were sitting. 2nd wadding feet from dead bird. Defective Heavi Magblend I'm assuming. Didn't hold pattern ? Not sure but creamed him with 2nd. Few pellets in body and guessing first came out like blunderbust and open pattern.

Misses happen so fess up.

Side note : I'm afraid to stuff these XR's in my gun as they are scary tight. Gotta aim small and miss small

last year, we had a tom hung up so my buddy slid back 50 yards and called. after about 45 minutes, I let two jakes walk right past me at 10 yards and they gobbled as they got close to my buddy and that was enough to get the tom to break free. He came in, I dropped the hammer at 35 yards and he turned around and ran. I had a wide open shot and my elbow on my knee...no clue what happened. I walked over to where he was standing at the shot and I didn't see any feathers or anything. We spent a fair amount of time looking for him anyway just to be sure but it was obvious I missed. Thanks for the reminder lol :negative:

• Like 1

I once missed at about 15 yards. I had taken a good tom opening week at about the same range and just about took its head off. This time I shot and the bird took off running, then took to the air and I watched him just glide out of sight. I think I must have pulled it just a little but close in like that, just a little is too much.

Years ago I had a bird beating up my decoy n ripped a hole in it so that had to be ended , rushed the shot at 20 yds n he took off , rolled him on the second shot after a few strides... The only legit miss that I did not get the bird was back in 2005 on an Osceola that was content standing in the wide open fresh burn some 55+ yds out ... Came in so quick all I had time to put out was my hen decoy , so after 25 minutes or so of him standin out there gobblin wondering why the hell she ain't comin to daddy I let er rip... Bird flew off crashing into a pine tree , fell to the ground , and took off.... Searched and searched but no sign ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have missed 4 birds and I would say combined distance is less than 20yds. With my style of ambushing birds I often have very close shots. I thought I had it all figured out by going to a full choke but I missed a bird 15minutes into my season this year so I guess not.

Kinda hard to miss if you have a good, even, forgiveable pattern n shoot within the guns effective range.

No dis to anyone. I understand nerves.

All guns cannot shoot the magical 40 yards as is. Sometimes we need a different choke, different load or sights. Many turkey load/choke set ups, especially with tight loads shoot off to side. We should never assume the gun is on, chances are good it's not.

Flyers are also common, so to say we missed we could, perhaps, put a few in the bird in non vital areas even when we thought we missed

Kinda hard to miss if you have a good, even, forgiveable pattern n shoot within the guns effective range.

LOL...God's gift....

Yes, I've missed a few over the years. Like Pygmy said, anyone who never missed probably never shot at all that many. I haven't missed in a couple years, but the last couple years I haven't taken all that many shots, either. :lol:

I am by no means trying to sound like "Mr. Perfect" turkey hunter, but I've only goofed up on one gobbler/bird which just so happened to be my first hunt.., of my first year chasing turkey.., and the first spring tom I ever called to the barrel.

I can't even say I "missed" as the tom rolled and got back on his feet.

Not knowing much about turkey hunting at the time, I thought he would just walk off and lay down and die like a deer before he got out of sight in the open field so I let him run.

He put some air under his wings and sailed clear out of the field and straight down hill just over the tree tops.

Shot was 30 yards. Gun was a Remmy 870 scoped and had one of them specialty after market "Extra -Full turkey chokes".

That has to be my most memorable turkey hunts to date as much as I'd like to forget about it.

I'll also admit to not killing nearly as many gobblers as many of you on this site, so maybe I'm just too picky in my shot selection since then, since I got rid of all them specialty turkey gun bells and whistles that made me feel like a sniper.

3 years ago my buddy and I were sneaking through some thick pines to get to the field edge as a Tom was in the field and headed towards us. We belly crawled the last 20yds and got set up. The bird came in to about 30 to 35 yds. He let me shoot first as I have never shot a turkey before. I shot and the bird flinched. Then my buddy shot and rolled him. the bird got up and ran. We walked and walked and walked and never found him. I'm sure I missed. Hunted one more year and haven't in the last few.

I've called a few in over the years but none within shooting range except the one I missed. Still birdless.

All guns cannot shoot the magical 40 yards as is. Sometimes we need a different choke, different load or sights. Many turkey load/choke set ups, especially with tight loads shoot off to side. We should never assume the gun is on, chances are good it's not.

Flyers are also common, so to say we missed we could, perhaps, put a few in the bird in non vital areas even when we thought we missed

When I get good at killing turkeys I only hope to be as good as this guy!

• Like 4

I've only ever shot 1....drilled him flipped right over...new to Turkey hunting I immediately stood up and called my dad to tell him......with my shotgun leaning on tree a few steps away I watched that bird fly away...looked all over never to be seen again....

Wait I guess that counts too lol damn

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

LOL...God's gift....

Yes, I've missed a few over the years. Like Pygmy said, anyone who never missed probably never shot at all that many. I haven't missed in a couple years, but the last couple years I haven't taken all that many shots, either. :lol:[/quote

You guys like to argue. No one is fronting. It's called a scatter gun. That means it scatters shot. Personally I only take good shots, pattern my guns n shoot good loads. I've been at this since the mid 80s and have missed only a handful of shots, never good ones and that's my point. If you're too dumb to do so that's your problem.

Guess it's hard to understand, you're not even good enough to have taken "all that many shots" the last couple years. That's good, leaves more birds for guys can shoot.

Typical Internet moron talking garbage.

LOL...God's gift....

Yes, I've missed a few over the years. Like Pygmy said, anyone who never missed probably never shot at all that many. I haven't missed in a couple years, but the last couple years I haven't taken all that many shots, either. :lol:[/quote

You guys like to argue. No one is fronting. It's called a scatter gun. That means it scatters shot. Personally I only take good shots, pattern my guns n shoot good loads. I've been at this since the mid 80s and have missed only a handful of shots, never good ones and that's my point. If you're too dumb to do so that's your problem.

Guess it's hard to understand, you're not even good enough to have taken "all that many shots" the last couple years. That's good, leaves more birds for guys can shoot.

Typical Internet moron talking garbage.[/

You summarized your post perfectly with the last sentence!

Edited by Buckmaster7600
  • Like 1

You summarized your post perfectly with the last sentence!

Agreed. I don't have the luxury of hunting or scouting everyday, pretty busy with this thing called "life". But I can call them in and knock them down with the best of them when I do get a chance to get out, don't need to thump my chest on an internet forum to prove that. Not every bird is a slam dunk shot at 20 yards, but I will agree that the further out they are or if you have to take a shot from an awkward position, the chance of missing (or peppering them) increases.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 2