Mountain Muffler Recurve Strings

Steve B was nice enough to send me a string to try out on my new black widow. I have always used the D97 strings made by BW and they worked fine, are reasonably quiet and have decent performance. I am not one for promoting products, but I have to say that I was impressed with the string.

First and foremost, you can see its a well made string. And, most importantly, the mufflers made it a very quiet string, even more so that the Flemish twist D97s with bow hush (wool yarn wrapped where strong meets limb) installed. It left just a nice soft thump on the shot. More like a D shaped longbow. To me, being quiet is more important that feet per second. So, I was quite impressed immediately with the mountain muffler string.

BUT, not only is it quiet, its also fast. I always thought fast and quiet were mutually exclusive - guess not. A bit too fast for my existing arrow set up, even with BH adjustments and a drop of 25g in head weight. I will either have to cut my current arrows a bit or go to a stiffer spine. If you are looking for both speed and quietness, and who isn't, look to Mountain Muffler Strings. Steve has a top notch product.

• Like 1

I use D97 Flemish twist strings.  wrap the ends that contact the string in wool yarn and then make 2 wool puff balls fed between the twists.  once puff them out by shooting with them I take scissors and cut them down for more fps and so they don't retain more precipitation.  looks nice when I use Ombre colored yarn to match the bow.  still I've thought about just going to string leeches that aren't as quiet or look as nice.  i'll have to give those strings a try when it's time for new ones. 

DB, I typically do exactly the same as you. I am really not one to push products, but this string does what it claims to do. No messing with installing the bow hush or other silencers either because they are pre-installed. Just wish I had started with this string before tuning.