Whisker Biscuit or Drop away?

maytom

I have a drop away rest on my current bow, but thinking of switching to a Whisker Biscuit rest for my next bow. Main reason is the one I have now make s a metallic clinking noise after each shot.

Also, that string that is tied to the cable leaves me to think of possible failures down the road? Like the simplicity of the whisker biscuit, and the captive ability of your arrow. Out to a distance of 35-40 yards, there is no huge accuracy related issues. Like the simple approach and idea behind this rest. What say you?

I went from a whisker biscuit to a QAD drop away last year. The biscuit was getting warn and a friend talked me into the drop away. I like it enough, but given the distances I shoot, 10- 25 yards, I don't see an advantage over the biscuit. Im still not use to the QAD..A couple times this past year I was sitting in my stand, looked at my bow, in the holder and noticed that I never set the rest…..

For me it's keep it as simple as possible. My set up is strictly for hunting, and the whisker biscuit has been flawless for the better part of 20 years. If I were a target shooter, the drop away is the way to go. But when a shooter deer is within my range, the WB is one less thing I have to worry about.

• Like 6

I was sold on the QAD drop away, and am noticing similar sound issues, but when I draw the string - a light squeal.  I think I need to lubricate the shaft that runs through the housing.  There is also the initial loud click when setting the rest.  I haven't noticed clinking after a shot, though.

I've also had issues with the timing of the drop, which requires some time and patience to get right.  The fletch rubbed against the rest, and eventually wore down and tore away the padding on the rest, which presented an opportunity for a loud arrow bouncing around when moving the bow.

I've heard that the whisker biscuit whiskers can wear down, or that they can develop grooves, which can alter flight path if the fletch doesn't hit the biscuit just right.  I have no personal experience with them, however.

Edited by RebelDarling

I really like my Trophy Ridge revolution. Its quiet through the draw cycle and hasn't failed me ever after I don't even know how many arrows. It captures the arrow nicely. The whisker is foolproof and I really have no good reason not to use one though.....I would say the choice is yours to make....

I shoot a whisker and easily can get quarter size grouping at 50 yards. If I was you I'd say any difference in accuracy will be caused by the shooter not the whisker

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That's good shooting regardless of rest.

• Like 1

I used a WB rest and different types including the original from Carolina Archery.  now I've got QAD drop aways of different models on all my bows.  I've never had a problem with either or accuracy enough to affect hunting deer.  I do think that the biscuit wears out and does so with any vanes.  I shoot enough that it's cheaper and easier for me to replace the felt on a QAD then to replace the whisker portion of the biscuit rest and vanes on my arrows.  it really comes down to whatever you can just setup and not worry about though.  when game comes into range you've already got enough to think about.

• Like 1

One thing I did read about the Whisker biscuit rests, is that you can't use "Quick Spin" vanes through this rest. These type of vanes WILL cause damage to the bristles, stick with Blazer vanes and you shouldn't have any issues.

• Like 1

anything that would slip through the bristles with less effort would be best.  blazers are thick material so their durable.  lots of other good vanes out there too.  if any get messed up but are still on there good, just use a hair dryer to relax and straighten them back out.

• Like 1

Look into a rip cord code red drop away rest.....dollar for dollar one of the best out there! Lightning quick and love that you can leave it loaded in the up position to hold the arrow in place when in a tree stand or hanging on a bow hook.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by mlammerhirt

I went from a whisker biscuit to a QAD drop away last year. The biscuit was getting warn and a friend talked me into the drop away. I like it enough, but given the distances I shoot, 10- 25 yards, I don't see an advantage over the biscuit. Im still not use to the QAD..A couple times this past year I was sitting in my stand, looked at my bow, in the holder and noticed that I never set the rest…..

I'm new to drop away rests this year but mine can be shot without setting it in the up position ,as the bow is drawn it raises the rest up to the same height as if it is clicked up.

One thing I did read about the Whisker biscuit rests, is that you can't use "Quick Spin" vanes through this rest. These type of vanes WILL cause damage to the bristles, stick with Blazer vanes and you shouldn't have any issues.

maytom .... you spoiled my post . I was using a WB for a few years and had to switch to a Drop Away when I started shooting arrows with the Qwik-Spin vanes . The little tabs on the vanes would drag on the whiskers .

I tried a QAD rest and couldn't get it to have proper clearance and neither could the shop . I sold it on the AT site and bought a Trophy Ridge drop away but it isn't full containment . 

The WB is an excellent rest and you don't lose more than 3 fps shooing arrows .

• Like 1

Be careful with a whisker biscuit...one cold morning my dad was drawing on a buck and his arrow made this gkd awful nosie as it pulled through the biscuit....deer spooked and the biscuit was removed from the bow that afternoon.....though not a common problem the combo of the crabon arrow and the brissles made for a loud squeek on a dead silent morning.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The WB use to damage my fletching, no big deal if you only shoot a few hundred a year but I am up in the thousands.  Switched to a drop away about 4 years ago.  Had some issues last season with mine not locking at times in cold weather but would always work when drawn or if I worked it in a bit.  One thing is for sure the WB is more dependable for just a basic hunting bow with no moving parts.   Both have advantages and disadvantages. 

If you hunt and only shoot a few times a year the WB will work fine.  If you shoot often you will probably get a drop away due to less resistance and damage to fletching.  Not much of a benefit but if you shoot competitive at all you will likely shoot 1000's of arrows and the WB just has that slight disadvantage.