EAB Proposed

phade

Comments taken through June 29. It is for any open season in proposed WMUs - Western NY ones include 8A, 8C, 8H, 8G, 8F 8N, 9A and 9F. There are some more downstate.

Sounds like any tag shortages will be resolved based on how I am reading the communication. I'd post it, but I am looking at a pic of the document that isn't all that great.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Nj only has back yard deer. Where you can hunt you don't see a track. They're using harvest data to determine how many deer are in area. EAB has caused many ghost deer to be checked. Unlimited antlerless has decimated herds.

The state had an emergency meeting w federation of sportsmans clubs bout it

Here is a serious question:

What keeps a hunter from submitting a bogus doe harvest report and then  going on with his buck hunting? It seems to me that some kind of check station system would also have to be created, funded, and staffed in order for EAB to work. But I never hear anything about that part of the plan. Is it assumed that check stations automatically come with EAB proposals?

• Like 1

They wouldn't have to worry about a EAB program if they would just give bow hunters the doe tags needed in these areas at the right time. I plan my doe takes between 2 units...Nov. 1 is not when I Need that extra tag. Give it to me earlier and l'll attempt to use it ,if they cooperate. I believe others in these areas would As well. I'm definitely not burning an either or on a doe early season.

They wouldn't have to worry about a EAB program if they would just give bow hunters the doe tags needed in these areas at the right time. I plan my doe takes between 2 units...Nov. 1 is not when I Need that extra tag. Give it to me earlier and l'll attempt to use it ,if they cooperate. I believe others in these areas would As well. I'm definitely not burning an either or on a doe early season.

What keeps a hunter from submitting a bogus doe harvest report and then going on with his buck hunting? It seems to me that some kind of check station system would also have to be created, funded, and staffed in order for EAB to work. But I never hear anything about that part of the plan. Is it assumed that check stations automatically come with EAB proposals?

This is what I referred to as ghost deer earlier
  • Like 1

What keeps a hunter from submitting a bogus doe harvest report and then going on with his buck hunting? It seems to me that some kind of check station system would also have to be created, funded, and staffed in order for EAB to work. But I never hear anything about that part of the plan. Is it assumed that check stations automatically come with EAB proposals?

Maybe they'd have to take the deer to the local State Farm drive up claims center. WTH, might as well get them involved, they're the ones pushing this eradication.

• Like 1

as far as I know the only thing on the table is extended antlerless only seasons from what I've been told by DEC.  this post through me off a bit.  earn a buck would only be good for WMU or areas surrounding the major cities or populated areas where there's a problem and hunting is allowed; long island, Albany, Syracuse, buffalo, Ithaca, etc.  aside from that even in areas of region 8 I'd think it'd be too much harvest pressure.  I've only hunted in a couple areas out toward buffalo though so maybe I'm wrong.  only area around here i think it'd work would be 4J Albany.  forget if you don't like the idea.  throwing the question out there... in your opinion, would it be ok for population control in your WMU or be too much?

With getting the doe tags out to those in DEC termed "over populated" areas at the correct time,the issue would be solved. In those areas the hunters that are on the ground and viewing the populations could make the decision to shoot more or not. I'm in 8N. My little spot in the large diverse terrain of 8N , with lots of farms could handle the taking of more doe...That may not be the case over the hill in 8 N. So take at least one of those 2 Nov.1 tags you give me and allow me to get it when I get my other tags. It's not rocket science,I see no major costs involved ,and they would have info for that year ready to make decisions for the following year,with less chance of an over kill.

Edited by growalot

No EAB someone f***ing with you.

Think about it who would have do EAB and how would they know if you’re hunting one of those WMU’s. the whole state would have to go to EAB.

This makes zero sense.

Most EAB regulations are not statewide - they are usually geographically based in some form. Units, zones, etc.

• Like 1

No EAB someone f***ing with you.

Think about it who would have do EAB and how would they know if you’re hunting one of those WMU’s. the whole state would have to go to EAB.

wouldn't work for most of the state, let alone the whole state.  DMPs could be for applicable areas, available at will over the counter.  if you walk out of the woods with a buck or report a buck take from that WMU or specific town you'd better have had a doe reported from there as well.  rolling out of the woods with both taken in a sit.  fine. report them both.  want to hunt there for a buck but don't want to do your part and shoot a doe?  tough.  enforcement works the same way everything else does when one WMU's harvest is different from another.  from what I've heard it's not really DEC's preference at the moment.  ease of implementation carries a lot of weight with them.  no reason to create administrative nightmares for DEC, if you can help it.