Squashed deer everywhere

Doc

I had three close calls in one early morning 3:00am trip to Canadice with deer. Two of the three I was VERY hard on the brakes, the third I saw standing on the shoulder and I didn't even have time to slow down. Never saw the eyes glow on that one.....

The past week though it's been dead coons, they are everywhere!

• Like 2

Im liking uncle nickys theory. I have seen a increase in flat tops on the roadside and the majority are smaller doe. In addition during my turkey hunts ive seen some loner doe that were extremely small wandering.

• Like 1

I made 3 trips upstate from LI this turkey season and I was going to post the same thing!..

Lost count of how many dead does I saw on 17 and rt 80..Even saw 2 dead coyotes coming back last week...guess they were looking for abandoned fawns and became a casualty themselves.

I couldnt help but think every dead deer equaled a fawn somewhere waiting for momma to return...

Was an aweful waste of venison...The tree huggers have no clue!

Edited by LI OUTDOORSMAN

I've seen the same here on Taborton Mtn in the past week.  A twenty minute drive, and five dead along the roadside.  I had a close call with a group of does last evening (the bachelors were already in the field), and this morning, the lady came up on a doe and a new fawn.  The doe stood in the middle of the road waiting for the fawn to decide which side to run towards.

Happens ever year, and i think with a lot of critters, first few weeks of great weather, new green up all over, new fawns, new babies all over. The curiosity in them all and the lack of caution they have (unlike fall/winter months) keeps them out more during daylight hours.. the danger isnt present now like it is come fall and winter... another opinion ive had lol

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Let's try this theory:

The old doe has had her fawns in tow for a year. These fawns have had ma make every decision for them. Now it is time for ma to pop out a new fawn or two, and she doesn't do that in a crowd, so she ditches the fawns for the first time in their lives. Now its time for them to make all those decisions that the more experienced doe was making for them. One bad decision regarding road crossings frequently is their last. The learning curve gets real steep, or it gets very short. I don't think it is any coincidence that this spike in the roadkill comes at the same time as fawning season.

• Like 2

I don't believe it's like that at all Doc. Doe fawns can and do stay with their mothers for several years. Buck fawns are kicked to the curb, so to speak before the next breeding cycle begins. ( Based on my own personal observations)

I haven't witnessed near as many deer along our area roadways this year, as years prior. Smarter deer? Lower numbers? Better educated drivers? Better highway cleanup efforts? Maybe.

I have slammed on the brakes more this year though, the last, nearly taking out a doe and last years fawn running with her.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Daughter just sent me this from my folks house. There is NO surrounding woods for a mile or more and nothing but houses around. Dang, wish she could have gotten more of my folks incredible flower garden, lol. He's prepping for the Lancaster Garden Walk again this year

post-4567-0-12522800-1465244665_thumb.pn

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

Today I drove from rockland county to Binghamton and back.... On the way there I took rt17 I saw 5 dead deer and a small dead black bear.... On the way home I took 81 to 84 and saw 7 dead deer I'd say those are pretty high numbers for this time of year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Daughter just sent me this from my folks house. There is NO surrounding woods for a mile or more and nothing but houses around. Dang, wish she could have gotten more of my folks incredible flower garden, lol. He's prepping for the Lancaster Garden Walk again this year

this is odd. Folks saw what they believe is the same deer walking back thru the neighborhood back the other way yesterday. It's 2 weeks later. There are NO woods around. Right down the sidewalk again and meandering thru houses