Single hen.. where are gobblers?

OldNewbie

There is a single hen turkey that wanders through my yard several times a week.. always by herself. Is this an indicator the turkey pop is low in my area?  When I lived a few miles away I used to see flocks of 10-20 hens with several males following.. (but there was a neighbor feeding them all winter too.)

'Nother question.. what time of day should I be listening for gobblers, if there are any in my local woods?

One hen, not necessarily low population. She just may be to and fro from her nest and your yard on her travel route. Betting she's on eggs .

Was it winter hwen you saw 10-20 hens? Winter flocks , they split up in late winter . I had 25 birds roosted above my treestand during ML season. Now I'm hard pressed to get a gobble as bastids moved and split into smaller groups.

Birds might rip on roost, they might not, they may gobble when hens go to nest late morning, they might not.

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2

I have a single hen that walks by my ground blind on a daily basis and has done so for the last 2 weeks. I call her the "gabbing hen" because I can hear her coming a mile away and she never shuts up. She constantly yelps, clucks, and cackles as she walks her daily route, but I have never had a gobbler follow her. She is so vocal that the first time I heard her coming, I thought it was another hunter trespassing on my land because I figured it was a hunter walking and excessively calling. I am sure she has a nest nearby. The only good thing is that I can practice by calling to her and she responds and we "talk" a lot. There is no better way to learn good calling techniques than by practicing with a real live wild hen.

• Like 2