My first wheel gun

Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag What a PITA to get person to person sales transfer however. There's only but a couple of places in WNY that'll even do it. Getting the ball rolling after the holiday weekend. Current owner has had since late '70's and used twice deer hunting and some competition shooting. Had some trigger work done, boy is it sweet . Put on Pachmayr grips too. Gun is in pristine condition.

Any deer hunting ammo suggestions ? I did a little research and saw Buffalo Bore Deer Grenade +P got great reviews. Have all summer to practice with her. Now I have to find a holster for it. Optics ? yay or nay ?

post-4567-0-36834600-1464377396_thumb.jp

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 11

I have its sister, a Redhawk all blued from the same vintage with similar grips.....

IMG_0152_zpsp8ilikyc.jpg

Shooting a hardcast 240 gr WNFP, 50 yds on that center target after some sight adjustment. Haven't taken a deer yet; buts they have performed well on pigs and an escaped Angus I had to do in LOL

Belt holster in pic but have used a Shamrock made bandito holster more and like that as I can carry under a coat in lousy weather and still have easy access.

http://shamrockholsters.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=55

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 5

Scope wise, I had one on my 8 inch Dan Wesson .44 for awhile . Took it off did not need it under 50 yards and it just made the whole package rather large . I was at the time only carrying a handgun .

What's your plans ? If you'll be carrying a rifle too, no way I'd scope the handgun .

Only the handgun? , see how you shoot it and really what are you looking to,get out of it?

A more challenging way to hunt ? Hunt thick area with short shots or field edges ?

Nice gun have fun .

• Like 1

Scope wise, I had one on my 8 inch Dan Wesson .44 for awhile . Took it off did not need it under 50 yards and it just made the whole package rather large . I was at the time only carrying a handgun .

What's your plans ? If you'll be carrying a rifle too, no way I'd scope the handgun .

Only the handgun? , see how you shoot it and really what are you looking to,get out of it?

A more challenging way to hunt ? Hunt thick area with short shots or field edges ?

Nice gun have fun .

It may go along when I carry my ML ( don't even tote the shotgun during regular season any more ) or just may take it by itself a day or two.

Woods I hunt usually only offer deer inside 75- 100 yards tops. Some are shot stupid close to stand or blind.

I could see how scoping it would make it cumbersome . Haven't shot iron sights in a long time, I'll need some practice of setting the pumpkin on the post.

Larry, what hunting ammo you like for yours?

It was years ago , 240 gr. JHP . Many like solids but those worked fine for me .

When I used my ML in regular season , I toted my 357 for close up deer and finishing off, if needed. Like if I spined one. Just easier to climb down and go over for a quick finish , rather then reloading my MK 85, which was rather slow , just trying to get an 11 cap on took some time .

While on stand I would put my handgun in my day pack and have it hanging off my seat so I could slip my hand into pack, with little movement in case one slipped in without me knowing ,and or my long gun was hanging on a hook....

Enjoy your new gun.

I have 5 revolvers and this one is my favorite.  Ruger Police Service Six in stainless with fixed sights and 4" Bbl in .357 Mag.  Got it in 1979 and have put over 1000 rounds through it.  Still looks and shoots like new.  

post-7653-0-49163100-1464530564_thumb.jp

first nice ruger, second consider a red dot. a 44 is good for 100 yards and down and one really doesn't need a scope, wife and I love our redots.  I can hold 2 inch groups at 100 yards with my SRH .and the only mount you will be able to buy to mount any optic is the b-square mount unless you are going to drill and tap, but why ruin the revolver. as for ammo if you don't reload, google 44 deer hunting ammo tons of offerings. myself I load 240 grain xtp's over 21 grains of 2400. wife and I hunt only with out pistols during gun season..

• Like 1

Dinsdale, I like that holster

Once you have the bandolier part the holster snaps on, so it can accommodate different holster/gun combo's.

I use it for my 22lr and the 44mag.

Its odd at first just hunting with the handgun, so use to having a long gun in hands feels like I forgot something.

Oh boy I have some work to do over the summer. Little high right but in my defense the previous owner said I would as he shoots odd he said. I'll play around next time out. These are last 18 of 50 I ran thru her today. Lasered 34 yards. At least I could hit the broad side of a barn ???? Far less bite n bark than I expected but own a .45 and this is pretty tame. All my fillings in my teeth are still solid but the percussion did keep the skeeters away ???? Loving my first wheel gun. Everything from pushing the ejection rod to dump empties , stuffing freshies in there, the way it holds in my hands. I may have to pick up another revolver .... or 2 ????

post-4567-0-27816600-1464885464_thumb.jp

post-4567-0-27239800-1464885476_thumb.jp

• Like 2

From the looks of your pictures you have what they call a two screw super Blackhawk.  One word of caution is you really should think about having that converted to a three screw.  Ruger had some safety issues with the two screw models where if the hammer was down on a chamber in the cylinder that had a live round in it and the hammer was bumped it could go off.  Ruger later changed that so there is a plate that covers the firing pin so that can't happen.  Ruger will convert it to a three screw free of charge.

From the looks of your pictures you have what they call a two screw super Blackhawk.  One word of caution is you really should think about having that converted to a three screw.  Ruger had some safety issues with the two screw models where if the hammer was down on a chamber in the cylinder that had a live round in it and the hammer was bumped it could go off.  Ruger later changed that so there is a plate that covers the firing pin so that can't happen.  Ruger will convert it to a three screw free of charge.

I think this is incorrect info.  I believe the first Ruger's had three screws and did not have the safer transfer bar system in them.  If you have an old three screw model, Ruger will convert it to a transfer bar system, free of charge.  I think all of the newer 2 screw models already have the transfer bar system in them.

Contact Ruger with the serial # of the gun to find out if it needs to be done.  I know many people who had theirs done, but I know a few who did not.  It's an option.

Oh boy I have some work to do over the summer. Little high right but in my defense the previous owner said I would as he shoots odd he said. I'll play around next time out. These are last 18 of 50 I ran thru her today. Lasered 34 yards. At least I could hit the broad side of a barn ???? Far less bite n bark than I expected but own a .45 and this is pretty tame. All my fillings in my teeth are still solid but the percussion did keep the skeeters away ???? Loving my first wheel gun. Everything from pushing the ejection rod to dump empties , stuffing freshies in there, the way it holds in my hands. I may have to pick up another revolver .... or 2 ????

That's not bad for first time shooting and iron sights. The more you shoot her the more you will dial it in. I'd still go with getting a scope to tighten up the groups.

Nothing better then being 100% happy with a new gun! 

Hitting high right like that, can be a sign of heeling as one anticipates the recoil .

I'd shoot off a sandbag or other rest, start close , and move back. If you moved that group down and left, most would be in the black . They'll tighten up in time .

• Like 2

It'll go higher than the guy had it sighted for as well if you are using heavier bullets and make sure only that first pad of your finger is on the trigger

post-152-0-86719200-1464899881_thumb.jpg

Like Larry said. Get on the bags and get it dialed in. then practice your shooting and form. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1