Spiders....

growalot

Afraid????....dang right I am...with good reasons other than the normal phobia that life gives us....

So imagine the scream that scared Mr B. this morning when in the kitchen sink , that I had just put the plug in and started running hot water appeared a spider.  Not any old spider that climbed up on to the white dinner plate I placed in the sink.  making his size  Oh so visible. It's the biggest spider I have seen other than those blk. and yellow corn spiders. It's body was the size of a quarter and it's leg span wider around than a mayo jar lid!!! EEEWWWW!!!! I had just had my hand in that sink!!!!

Well he hit the hot water when Mr B went to get him and left the house on a serving spoon.....I figure the goose bumps it gave me will eventually leave....I can handle big garden spiders...which are many this year...but not ones that could be crawling on me in my sleep at night.... :O

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

.It to a few

It took a few

That is what I dig up in the garden grampy...all carrying white eggs sacks...Hey I have had a few big ones pop out of the ground at me...not as big as that one this morning ...but looking like mini tarantulas...Freaky when they are carrying their hatch babies on their backs.

• Like 1

Whoever said, "They're more afraid of us than we are of them." has obviously never met the nasty, walnut-sized beasties that inhabit the boathouses and cottage crawlspaces where I often work. I've been attacked and bitten on numerous occasions while simply trying to leave them alone.

• Like 1

I learned years ago ....I always walk in the woods with a stick waving in front of me...It to a few "across the open eye" webs to  teach me ,but I got it ;)

Had that stick in front of me this morning as I was heading into the woods!!! :cheese: 

we get a lot of black fuzzy ones the size of a quarter in the house.  always getting rid of them for the wife.  some other brownish monsters in the barns at the farm.  threshold whatever lesser problematic tarantula we had in 7th grade science class and supervised we could hold it.  came in one day though and someone had apparently squashed it in the enclosure because they freaked or something.  spiders don't bother me, but then again if I lived in Australia it'd probably be different.

Oh they are great when driving...I had one drop down in front of my face..a big one 55miles an hour and out into a field I went...good thing I had the big F250 4x4......

I watched my Mom get bit..little black jumping spider,  her wrist swelled up to a size her hand wasn't recognizable...That scene freaked me right out...spider nightmares for years...afraid to kill them because they'd get revenge...Ohhh ya the whole nine yards. Once I had a little battle with a jumping spider...got safely pulled over with 3 screaming kids in a Vega. coming back from hockey practice...I open the passenger door and ask for a hockey stick....Well that nasty little So n So saw me move that stick toward him and literally  raised up off his front legs on the dash board and attacked the stick....Now I have 3 preteens in the back seat screaming and trying to climb out the windows...lol...It took me 10 mins to kill it...He looked like Ali dancing around and lunging at that hockey stick....when they are big enough to see all their eyes and mouth parts moving...I want no part of dealing with them...Kids talked about that spider battle for weeks...by the time the boys got done that spider was the size of a base ball ...lol more like the size of an SD card...but crazy aggressive little booger...

• Like 2

My wife and two girls will run out of a room screaming…I mean screaming, if they even see  the smallest spider. I can't get through to them that spiders can be killed by like,,,lightly taping them with a shoe, or news paper, or pretty much anything..

My wife and two girls will run out of a room screaming…I mean screaming, if they even see  the smallest spider. I can't get through to them that spiders can be killed by like,,,lightly taping them with a shoe, or news paper, or pretty much anything..

I've seen grown men run, screaming like little girls, over a spider or garter snake. Always good for a belly laugh! :sarcastichand:

In the grand scheme of things, I'd agree with you. I'll admit that I don't like them for what are mostly irrational reasons. I find them creepy, no matter how fascinating. There's one in the corner of my kitchen that seems to eat fruit flies. It gets a pass.

But when you're working in a crawlspace with 6" to 8" of clearance and no way to flee or counterattack, or when one jumps into your hip-waders for no reason while you're chest-deep in a boathouse doing electrical work and starts biting you, I'm not so sure the fear is entirely irrational. 6 or 7 bites can wreck your day with the bigger ones.

• Like 2

Ever see a fishing spider?! Hand to God, one chased my boat down to get on it. Not even kidding, I kept clicking the trolling motor faster and faster and it swam faster and faster and climbed on the transom. I had my buddy's 13 year old nephew go back and knock it off or I was getting out of the boat lol

• Like 2

Oh they are great when driving...I had one drop down in front of my face..a big one 55miles an hour and out into a field I went...good thing I had the big F250 4x4......

Just wanted to say I missed these stories. Much better than the local grocery store owner who is a pedophile Muslim extremist supported by liberals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Belo

Ever see a fishing spider?! Hand to God, one chased my boat down to get on it. Not even kidding, I kept clicking the trolling motor faster and faster and it swam faster and faster and climbed on the transom. I had my buddy's 13 year old nephew go back and knock it off or I was getting out of the boat lol

I'm pretty sure they're the ones in the cottages, and using the boathouses I talked about. They're not friendly.