Wanna Be Turkey Biologist Opine Here

Lawdwaz

OK folks....whats going on in the picture below?  I snapped it this morning around 7am.  10 turkeys.........I couldn't identify all of them but my best guess is one adult gobbler, a jake and the rest hens.  I glassed them for 10 minutes before taking the picture.  They were probably 600 yards away and even with my binos ID'ing all of them positively was difficult at best.

My questions are these: why are all those hens out in the middle of this HUGE field and not on their nests?  If most of them are bred, would they all be nesting that close to each other?  Shouldn't they all (in theory) be bred by now?  

The gobbler certainly was acting like there was a chance of getting some "tail" so I assume they weren't all bred. 

I was close enough from 4:50am until about 6:30am (and it was very calm) and never heard a peep from any male pea brained turkey.  :)  As I watched him with the binos I also noted he wasn't gobbling while dancing for the ladies.

So what gives?

IMG_7770_zpsr1hkbjvl.jpg

I'm no expert but 7 am might be little early for all those hens to go to nest. But you're right on " are they more or less nested atop of one another ?" I know a few guys / gals are still seeing henned up toms. Another forum had thread about toms gathering more hens now than early season. This was PA but seeing same thing. Doubtful all hens lost nest , early season was wet and cold but not over the top. And you mentioned pea brain birds , well so far they've outwitted me for the year. Guess that puts me in the opossum category of smarts.

I would question fertility, this late in the game. Set on one hatching with no success. We have had some good weather for poults. That many hens out so early, They all couldn't be infertile.  I would lean towards the males. 

Soft shell eggs could be another deciding factor.

I would hope nothing more serious. Something the DEC hasn't released..

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Being that I'm no biologist myself the first thought that came to mind is how old does a hen have to be to be sexually mature enough to produce young?.Could it be their just hanging as a group but not actually capable of nesting yet?.

Also with the amount of heavy rain this spring is it possible many nests were lost?

Or is that old gobbler just enjoying all those gals hanging around and working his way through the harem as he sees fit?...

Edited by LI OUTDOORSMAN

Being that I'm no biologist myself the first thought that came to mind is how old does a hen have to be to be sexually mature enough to produce young?.Could it be their just hanging as a group but not actually capable of nesting yet?.

Also with the amount of heavy rain this spring is it possible many nests were lost?

Or is that old gobbler just enjoying all those gals hanging around and working his way through the harem as he sees fit?...

I don't think there was all that much rain in this area.  (Arcade)  And it really wasn't any colder than many springs.......

That's a cool looking photo.

Thanks, every time I hunt this area I'll drive up to this spot and glass the distant fields.  Invariably there will be deer, turkey, geese, fox etc roaming the HUGE area,  Big fields with hedgerows and a small wood lots all combine to make a stunningly beautiful spot. 

Thanks, every time I hunt this area I'll drive up to this spot and glass the distant fields. Invariably there will be deer, turkey, geese, fox etc roaming the HUGE area, Big fields with hedgerows and a small wood lots all combine to make a stunningly beautiful spot.

coordinates ? I'm just down the street and would be happy to get a much closer look at that long beard for you ????
  • Like 1

Thanks, every time I hunt this area I'll drive up to this spot and glass the distant fields.  Invariably there will be deer, turkey, geese, fox etc roaming the HUGE area,  Big fields with hedgerows and a small wood lots all combine to make a stunningly beautiful spot. 

I can visualize sitting there with a 22-250 shooting predators. Looks like a nice spot.

• Like 1

not kidding.  i wish they would increase the fall limit also.  during the fall i have flocks of 100+ in front of me and can only shoot one. 

Can I come hunt with you next year?

I saw almost the same picture yesterday, big recently plowed field, one strutter, 9 or 10 hens, around 7:30 AM, this was just east of Corning along route 86/17. No opinion on why they were all out there, I guess the hens are still hot, and the gobbler is taking advantage of a good thing? Maybe they lost their first nests or hatch of poults?