Fishing around Ithaca

turkeyfeathers

Anyone have any suggestions on where to fish around Ithaca ? Wife has a continuing ed course at end of July so daughter and I have 3 days of fishing to do. Seneca lake ? Cayuga lake ? Tougenack ? ( I butchered that spelling lol)  Most likely be bank fishing or wading. Have canoe but not overly enthused about hauling into hotel room at night or leaving it on car roof at hotel . Thanks in advance.

I'm not from the area, but I have fished the south end of Cayuga lake with good results from shore. It's right off of 13 in Ithaca. There are a couple of parks there with access. I'm sure there may be better spots around but I would think it would be a good place to start.

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 1

Go a bit further and hit Cooperstown lake. While you are there you can take an hour or two and hit the baseball Hall Of Fame.

Ommegang brewery too....just sayin

Trouble being it's 2 hours and 15 minutes from Ithaca.

Edited by turkeyfeathers

• 1 month later...

So have done a little homework and now and have heard North end of Cayuga is good for bass. Should be some good weeds .Thinking about Seneca lake too, Watkins Glen area maybe. Any thoughts of where to bank fish  and park much appreciated. Hoping to get into some bass, pike ,gar or a tiger musky perhaps. Plan on zinging spinner baits. We'll be staying right in Ithaca.

So have done a little homework and now and have heard North end of Cayuga is good for bass. Should be some good weeds .Thinking about Seneca lake too, Watkins Glen area maybe. Any thoughts of where to bank fish  and park much appreciated. Hoping to get into some bass, pike ,gar or a tiger musky perhaps. Plan on zinging spinner baits. We'll be staying right in Ithaca.

I took a boat out for a test drive thursday on the North end of cayuga looked excellent weed bed was think but I'd imagine if you fished the edges you would do alright

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Look into a canoe or boat/motor rental.  I bet you'll have a blast and it should open the door to better fishing.

I have never fished the area. Heck, I don't think I've been down that way in 40 years!

The gorge at Watkins Glen would be a wonderful day trip for you and your daughter. 

• Like 1

Taughannock Falls is on the West side of the Lake and about  a 20 minute drive from downtown. There is a park on the lake side and lots of people fish there. My buddy and I used to launch his boat there and fish across the way at Milliken Power station and then hit the weed beds to the left and right of the park on the way back in.

I also grew up in my teen years on the East side of the Lake at my grandparents cottage. Fished plenty of hours off the dock and caught several bass, black bass, carp, perch, and blue gill or sunnies. Chuck them spinners or spoons and bring some worms or minnows.