Kimber Adirondack?

Billdogge

Been looking at the Kimber Mountain Ascent or Montana in 280AI.....for the few ounces(5) I'm leaning Montana for the price difference. I have shot a Adk model in 7-08 and it was very nice, love that short barrel!

After carrying a all up 7.5 lb rifle in the hills I'm looking to lighten the load for a future hunt at elevation I have been looking at hard.

Only downside I see in reviews is not everyone is accurate, some can be so-so or worse. Accurate for my purpose will be MOA at 400 yds+, not minute of pie plate.

Customer service seems OK, but not spectacular.

Good package if you don't get a dog.

Eurooptic in PA has very competitive pricing; I'm a frequent customer, but the crew there is very helpful to all.

Screwed up and didn't buy a H+S Precision offered to me some years ago; but still poking around if the right one came along.

Edited by Dinsdale

Of all the guns I have bought it's the only gun I have ever sold. When I first heard about it I knew I had to have it, had one ordered before they were released. Shot well and carried great. I never could get over the lack of a magazine or hinged floor plate and I thought I could. Mine was a 7mm-08 and a true 1.5moa rifle. For a light short bolt gun my tikkas that I have had the barrels chopped off on are nearly as light better shooters, have a removable magazine and were less than half the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Buckmaster7600

Might keep the Featherweight 308

How handy is it?

You handle a near 5lb bare rifle with a short barrel and its pretty dang light and nimble!

A blind magazine doesn't bother me, my primary rifle has that already. I could buy a carbon fiber stock set for that gun and be near the Montana; but I'm itchin' to play with something different for a spell.

Raided the hunt/gun fund for a car last week and need a couple months to get my account back to full and play with something. Of course there are a few end of year hunt deals out there and I already own the rifle needed for them.

Hmmmm.  ^_^

Kimber rifles imo aren't good. I had one that at less than one box started light primer hits, light enough wouldn't go off. Customer service was so bad after 3 aggravating tries by them to fix the gun I sold it.

My buddy just recently bought one that won't go on "safe". Kimber told him to just shoot it n maybe it'll get better. Amazing.

A gun to look at if you have the money is a Sako, have less get a Tikka. I believe no matter where you hunt a round needs snot. Id get it in .300 win mag but any middle sized caliper is more than adequate. The heavy bullet deflecting brush theory is not correct. Put a target out at 100 yards w brush between you n see if you can shoot tight groups?

Edited by Bowguy 1

Kimber rifles imo aren't good. I had one that at less than one box started light primer hits, light enough wouldn't go off. Customer service was so bad after 3 aggravating tries by them to fix the gun I sold it.

My buddy just recently bought one that won't go on "safe". Kimber told him to just shoot it n maybe it'll get better. Amazing.

A gun to look at if you have the money is a Sako, have less get a Tikka. I believe no matter where you hunt a round needs snot. Id get it in .300 win mag but any middle sized caliper is more than adequate. The heavy bullet deflecting brush theory is not correct. Put a target out at 100 yards w brush between you n see if you can shoot tight groups?

That's pretty wild stuff there.

I got a .308 Kimber Montana for my father last winter and we must have got lucky..........it's a fine shooting gun and no problems.

Maybe pops should sell his now?

Sako are great guns as are Tikka, I have a couple of the former and one of the latter.  Me personally, I like my ULA/NULA guns.  I've had a problem or two with them too but I'll muddle through..........perfection is still just a pipe dream.  :) 

The main drawback to the Adirondack is trying to hold it steady when you have your heart rate and breathing up.  The light weight and short barrel do nothing to help compensate for those issues.  And those are often issues when hunting in the mountains.

It also has a fluted bolt, which makes it's bolt travel sort of choppy as the ejector rides in the flutes as you move it back and forth.  Not a real problem, but if you like a smooth action, it's not smooth.

The price is also an issue IMO.  The 84M Montana is far less costly and offers light weight with a 22" barrel and smooth action.  I think it is a better value than the Adirondack.

In my opinion, the 84M Classic Select model is the best of the Kimbers.  It's light enough, looks beautiful, has matte finished metal and all the other match features of the others, plus a magazine floor plate.  It's what real custom rifles used to be, but costs far less than they did way back in their day.  Do you really need Kevlar and stainless steel?  If not, look at the 84M Classic Select.

BTW, these rifles are always lightest when chambered in 308 Win.  It has the largest bore diameter, so it has the lightest barrel weight and lightest overall weight as well.  It will also hunt any game animal as well as any of the other chambers offered.

That's pretty wild stuff there.

I got a .308 Kimber Montana for my father last winter and we must have got lucky..........it's a fine shooting gun and no problems.

Maybe pops should sell his now?

Sako are great guns as are Tikka, I have a couple of the former and one of the latter. Me personally, I like my ULA/NULA guns. I've had a problem or two with them too but I'll muddle through..........perfection is still just a pipe dream. :)

If the gun is good no need to sell. I know of at least one fellow that's had no problems w his Kimber rifle but the heads up needs to be out there cause they aren't cheaply priced

If ultra light weight is the main objective my tikka with just shy of an 18" barrel that I had rebored to 35 whelen is very close to as light as the Adirondack. There is some truth to the fact that these very light rifles aren't as easy to hold steady when shooting freehand, it is a very small price to pay in my opinion if you are walking miles in a day when ounces matter.

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2016 at 9:56 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

There is some truth to the fact that these very light rifles aren't as easy to hold steady when shooting freehand,

If I can't rest on SOMETHING; like an elbow, branch, tree or even the smallest sapling, I'm not shooting. 

Oh I guess I need to say that if by chance I have a wounded animal or jump something at spitball range then I'll pop a cap but 99% of the time I'm looking for any rest I can find.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...