Another wild weekend..

wooly

Started the weekend out from the observation stand, I kept seeing this hawk in the distance snatching up snakes from the clover.
I forgot about him after a while until he fell out of the sky like a bowling ball right in front of me! His meal slithered away once he layed eyes on me.

large.jpg

large.jpg

With the hot weather I thought I'd go see what's swimming around in the crick yesterday. Found that same momma wood duck that got blasted by the hawk a couple weeks ago, but she's down to 3 ducklings now. I'm glad she survived the attack but I sure would have liked to see the hawk eat her!

large.jpg

A little further along I found this beaver gnawing on some branches that got washed downstream from the latest storm.
I didn't try... but he was so oblivious to me being there that I think I could have scooped him up with my hands,lol
At one point he walked right past me about 4 feet away.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

He finally figured out he was being followed and cooled me off with a flick of his tail before cutting under the creek bank.

On my way out I spotted another nose poke out of the water. I'd finally found what I keep coming back here for.
My first mud dragon of the year!

Hope everyone had as much fun as I had this weekend!

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

• Like 19

i don't have photo editing software so any shots would be unedited.  not sure if any of these are but they look good!

been thinking about bringing Nikon D5100 with me for general day-to-day as I don't have much time to go out specifically to photograph things.  I'm very hesitant to have it in a hot summer vehicle though even in the soft gear case or pack.  always hear of outdoor photographers taking their best shots from unplanned events where their gear was just in a back seat at the ready once pulling over on a road side or something.  What do you think about that and/or best way to have your camera with you?

• Like 1

Not bad if you like over exposed garbage. Keep at it and you might be half as good as Alloutdoors.

I have seen better composition on the back of milk cartons.

Haha- I don't post my GOOD stuff here Doe!

You gotta pay for those!

I'll work on the hotspots and comps just for you,lol ;)

• Like 1

Haha- I don't post my GOOD stuff here Doe!

You gotta pay for those!

I'll work on the hotspots and comps just for you,lol ;)

Do you ever worry about folks stealing your images? I have seen it happen more than once, some friends had pics of their dogs end up on a Tee shirt.

My pop's puts his name on all of his somewhere.

• Like 1

Thanks guys... sorry I let you all down,lol

db- I'm the LAST person to give camera care advice.

My camera get treated like the rest of my hunting gear. It's just another tool that gets used and abused!

All I use for editing is Nikon View NX and an outdated version of Noise Ninja. I shoot in RAW and only make basic adjustments. (sharpening, contrast, highlights, white balance...etc)

I would have got a shot of the chupe, but I had mud on my lens!

post-233-0-80530500-1467041518_thumb.jpg

Doe- if I see one of my pics on someones t-shirt..., I'll just steal their shirt.

That never really bothered me about marking my pics. Like you said, they're really not all that good anyhow!

If someone really wants a pic from the web, watermarks aren't too hard to edit out.

I'd be flattered if someone actually did "steal" one of my shots! :)

• Like 4

Here is a turtle for you wooly I have only ever seen 2 in the wild.. a spiny softshell..pretty rare from what I've found. This was last weekend as wellattachicon.gifFB_IMG_1467069589113.jpgattachicon.gifFB_IMG_1467069605633.jpg

Not rare in certain waters....You can nearly always see several  on the beach at California Ranch point on Honeoye Lake..

Keuka lake also has plenty..There is a gravel beach on the east side  about halfway between Penn Yan  and Keuka Village where you can see a couple dozen on the gravel and many others just offshore sticking their pointy noses out of the water this time of year.

I have not see any in the shallow rivers/swamps where I see many snapping turtles, but at least a couple of the Finger lakes seem to have a healthy population.

Not rare in certain waters....You can nearly always see several  on the beach at California Ranch point on Honeoye Lake..

Hey Dan, that blows my mind!   A couple weeks ago when I was fishing with my buddy Dave on Honeoye, we were anchored on the south side on California Point and saw,  at one point 5 different turtles on shore.  They were VERY fast in their movements, in & out of the water really quick.  We (now thinking we were mistaken) thought they were snappers. 

I'm obviously out of touch with my turtle knowledge...................... :)

• Like 1

Here is a turtle for you wooly I have only ever seen 2 in the wild.. a spiny softshell..pretty rare from what I've found. This was last weekend as wellattachicon.gifFB_IMG_1467069589113.jpgattachicon.gifFB_IMG_1467069605633.jpg

Well that's 2 more than I've ever seen! Neat little guys from what I've read about them.

I really need to get out more to start experiencing some of these creatures that don't live in my neck of the woods.

I was really excited to find some porcupine sign here this spring but have yet to see one in the wild. It almost feels like I'm now hunting some exotic species and I'm constantly on the look out for one!

Hey Dan, that blows my mind!   A couple weeks ago when I was fishing with my buddy Dave on Honeoye, we were anchored on the south side on California Point and saw,  at one point 5 different turtles on shore.  They were VERY fast in their movements, in & out of the water really quick.  We (now thinking we were mistaken) thought they were snappers. 

I'm obviously out of touch with my turtle knowledge...................... :)

Yup, Larry, those were softshells, and they are certainly faster and more wary than snappers... If you get within 30 or 40 yards of them in a boat, they bail into the water pronto... A few years back I was visiting my sister in Florida, and some big  ( 15-20 lb) softshells lived in the pond behind her house and often came quite a distance into the yards along the pond to sun themselves..I stalked one with my camera, hoping to get a good picture. I got between the turtle and the pond, figuring I had him cornered.. Suddenly he took off running for the pond...Holy CRAP, could that turtle run  !! I had no chance for a picture..

• Like 3

Well that's 2 more than I've ever seen! Neat little guys from what I've read about them.

I really need to get out more to start experiencing some of these creatures that don't live in my neck of the woods.

I was really excited to find some porcupine sign here this spring but have yet to see one in the wild. It almost feels like I'm now hunting some exotic species and I'm constantly on the look out for one!

Wooly, you have indeed led a sheltered life.  Some weekend when you get  a 48 hour pass from Monastery, come on down and we'll set up a turtle blind and then go find a porky or two.   I will feed you fishes, bread crusts and Jenny .....

• Like 3

Wooly, you have indeed led a sheltered life.  Some weekend when you get  a 48 hour pass from Monastery, come on down and we'll set up a turtle blind and then go find a porky or two.   I will feed you fishes, bread crusts and Jenny .....

Are you hitting on me...?

That's the best pick-up line anyones ever thrown at me in YEARS!

Take me and do as you wish with me Pygmy you stud,lol!!!

This place is twisted....you imagine what people who just found this site for first time reading it are thinking. Lmao keep it up...

Awsome as always

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

hehehehehe...You're cute, but not THAT cute....

Besides, I'm pretty fussy who I date...

However,  just in case I have TOO many Jennys, leave your dentures at home and put your jockey shorts on backwards.

hehehehehe...You're cute, but not THAT cute....

Besides, I'm pretty fussy who I date...

However,  just in case I have TOO many Jennys, leave your dentures at home and put your jockey shorts on backwards.

LMAO- you just gave me a serious case of TURTLE SYNDROME! :crazy: 

Could be weeks before he comes back out of his shell...

• Like 3