OK! Buying Ammo Online Question

Can we buy ammo online and have it shipped to us in NYS? Or Not?

I read it can be purchased online but has to go through an FFl dealer, and they charge a fee. I have read you can just order it to your home, but some sellers won't deal with NY and our F'D-up laws.

Then I came across this today from Target Sports USA:

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/ny-safe-act-online-ammo-sales-p-58633.aspx

Does anyone know the actual facts on this one?

I just take a short drive to Vermont. I'll call ahead to be sure they have what I want, or they will order it for me. And the prices are much better there than NYS. Was in Maine recently and their ammo prices are a full third less than NY!

To the OP's question. In almost all cases I've found that ammo purchases had to be made face to face through a ffl, in NY. Screw Andy and his "Safe" Act. I'll buy my ammo somewhere else while I can!

• Like 2

Jerry did you call target sports or order on line. I tried to order on line and no go back in March

I ordered online both times. There was a period of a couple of weeks where they suspended sales into NY addresses, but whatever spooked them for a bit got worked out. That may have been back in March.

I purchased on either side of that pause.

I think there is some confusion about the background checks.People think that because the checks fell through that its now legal to buy online. Im pretty sure  Its not.

There's a couple more besides Targetsports that will, (I don't recall the companies at the moment), but 99% of them are too spooked to do it.

Selection is OK as they seem to vary the available stock but prices aren't the greatest.

I know a place that will accept your order and charge a small fee to do it....think it's like $10.00, not a bad deal, especially if you get a few friends together to place a big order and split the cost. I remember seeing a place in Texas I think, that was doing something where you would buy from them, but somehow they would set it up where you ship the ammo to yourself after you completed the transaction with them....or something shady along those lines. It's not illegal to ship ammo through the mail, UPS anyway, just such a gray area with the online purchases.

According to Lucky Gunner (internet retailer):

Lucky Gunner is able to ship ammo to New York but we must ship through an Federal Firearms Licensee or what the state calls a "Registered Seller of Ammunition".

According to Target Sports (internet retailer):

Gov. Andrew Cuomo has agreed to suspend plans for background checks for ammunition sales in New York and allow internet sales of ammunition, changing part of the NY Safe Act, according to state Sen. James Seward.

According to "Ammoland.com" (2015)

An agreement announced late Friday signed by Republican Senate Majority Leader John Flanagan and Director of Operations Jim Malatras suspends this section of the SAFE Act.

The document stipulates that no state money will be used to implement the database, which also means the ban on Internet sales of ammunition is discontinued.

From Syracuse.com (July 2015)

It also wasn't immediately clear when -- or if -- Internet sales of ammunition would resume in New York.

Seward said this afternoon it would happen "in a reasonable amount of time."

But a spokesman for Cuomo said the Safe Act suspensions would not change state laws regarding Internet sales.

So it seems that the answer depends upon whom you ask. Retailers are split on the answer. The Gov's office believes the 2015 MOU keeps the internet sales prohibition, while those who accepted the MOU believe the opposite.

It seems the memo was like a little league participation trophy. Everybody won, and no one lost.

If you find a deal and the retailer will ship to you, go for it. It's been a while since I read the text, but my recollection is that the law put the onus on retailers not consumers.

I just take a short drive to Vermont. I'll call ahead to be sure they have what I want, or they will order it for me. And the prices are much better there than NYS. Was in Maine recently and their ammo prices are a full third less than NY!

To the OP's question. In almost all cases I've found that ammo purchases had to be made face to face through a ffl, in NY. Screw Andy and his "Safe" Act. I'll buy my ammo somewhere else while I can!

A guy my g/f works with goes to Maine about every other month, he's willing to grab some ammo for me when he gets his.

Our stupid laws are so twisted around them selves here in NY it's painful.

I could get Hornady ammo for my 26-06 for $20 a box if I could order it, way better then the $50 I paid. Even the Fusions I bought are half what I paid online.

• Like 1

no FFL around here seems to want to deal with Midway Usa and they're the only ones that have my Black Hills ammo that shoots so well out of one of my guns.  I've got government based security clearance, pistol permit, and other stuff yet I can't get ammo online even paying extra.  all because of a mandate that the state was never going to follow through with to allow to work.

• Like 1

Are there any restrictions on buying reloading supplies like powder and primers online?

Not that I am aware of other than the hazmat fees you will be paying for the powder and primers. Also it isn't recommended and is illegal in some areas to have more than 10k primers in a dwelling

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Since the unsafe act was passed I have been unable to buy bullets (projectiles only) online.

I haven't tried to buys cases or other components.

That shouldn't be a problem; built up some stocks when available from the big places like Mid South.

Powder has been a bit iffy when wanting a particular item......