Oh Canada........

Lawdwaz

I haven't been to Canada in 10-12 years.  They started the "Enhanced License" program and I never could get one because my birth certificate and SS card were MIA.  A few weeks ago I got the birth certificate replaced and will soon get the SS card back in my hands.  The kids and my wife have gone over to Canada a number of times but I couldn't make the trek, no biggie though.

Today I went to the DMV and got things started, I have a temporary enhanced license so now I can head north! My official license will be here in a couple weeks.  For the measly sum of $80 my DL is enhanced and I'm covered until 2024.  Other than the 1.5 hours in line today (a lady went down in line and they had to call the EMT squad) it was a simple deal.

Perch dinners in Port Colborne, Ontario and the Duty Free Shop on the way home are in reach!

Traffic was moderately crappy getting out of Toronto yesterday at even 1 pm  and at the Peace Bridge. Heard today that the Lewiston Bridge had up to a 3 hour wait to get into the US due to Canada Day today. Picked up a big 'ole bottle of Bacardi rum at Duty Free. Normally $20. There it was $10. Great deals on Crowne Royal although not a Crowne fan.  Mojitos tonight with mama with mint from the garden .

I avoided Canada for 10 years or so because I refused to get the enhanced license and don't have a passport.  I had to get one for work a few years ago, and now I no longer have an excuse to avoid visiting my mother-in-law up there.  I did have my bachelor party in Niagara Falls, ON, but that's not a thread we can discuss on a family-friendly forum.  

• Like 1

I was also too cheap to get the enhanced license so hadn't been to Canada since that law took effect.   We had a job down in South America last year, so work sprung for my passport.  That also re-opened Canada for our family.  I have taken the wife and kids up to Bass Pro in Niagara on the lake twice and they loved it.  The parking is free and we can be there in a half hour over the Lewiston-Queenston bridge with light traffic each time.   Also a real nice food court next door there.   On this past, unseasonally-warm superbowl Sunday, we did the falls from the Canadian side, including the Clifton-hill wax museums, etc, and again, the kid's loved it.  Also, the $1.29 American dollar currently gives us some good spending power up there.  

Edited by wolc123