Heads

Bowguy 1

Lots of guys have a preference to heads but accuracy counts and certain bullets deliver accuracy and work wonderfully on game.

For mid sized animals almost all I load is Sierra Gamekings. They have tons of accuracy records for good reason, in my guns they're almost always the most accurate n I've tested most hunting heads.

Best part is they aren't crazy pricey n come in factory loadings if that's your thing.

Anyone else try em?

Edited by Bowguy 1

got 3 box's of 100's of Sierra Gamekings 130g btsp for my .270 hand load but haven't really tuned it in. just using the book data , quarter size groups at 100yrds .. can't ask for much more then that ..

Berger is excellant, no question but they're a little pricey I've never had great luck w Nosler cept ballistic tips in my 22-250. Hornady Ive found terrible. I know other guys love Hornady too. Interesting the difference. But in my testing n that's been a lot of guns and a lot of fanatical trying I've seen different.

Will be honest in saying I haven't tried a Hornady of any sort Ina few years because of this.

What type load/head were you doing well with?

Edited by Bowguy 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have used a lot of Sierra's bullets but mostly in my assorted Varmint rifles shooting their thin jacketed match-varmint styles. . For whatever the reason I have alway got my best pin point accuracy with them which is what I am looking for most of all in my Varmint handloads. I confess to never have used the Gamekings so I can not comment on their performance on bigger game but I would bet a good chunk of change that they will be accurate.

I think for the most part today's modern jacketed big game bullets from all makers have came a long way in the last 50 years and are much more reliable than they were in the early days. When you find something that really shoots well out of your Deer rifle and you place your shot properly you will have no problem bringing home the venison.

Al

• Like 1

I have taken a few deer with Sierras, and I have no complaints..

However, for quite a few years I used Nosler ballistic tips, mostly in a .280 Rem and a 7mm08 and they were very accurate and killed game well up to and including game the size of caribou.

A few years back, just for s**ts and giggles, I tried Barnes X type bullets.

I now use them for nearly all of my hunting loads, 120 grain in 7mm08, 140 grain in the .280, and 250 grain in my 9.3 x 62.  They continue to impress me both in accuracy and performance on game.  They shoot well in my rifles, nearly always exit, kill as well as any bullet I have ever used, and tend to mess up less eating meat than many of the conventional jacketed bullets that I have used.

• Like 1

I used Nosler Ballistic Tips for years, but switched to Accubonds when they first came out. Went back to Ballistic Tips for my .250 Savage last year, worked just like I remembered-probably should save money and just use them in all my rifles.

Will