Anyone Do This As A Kid

DirtTime

Funny you should ask! My first experience with one I was on the receiving end.

You see my brother made one and I had doubts in it's range. So here I am probably 6-7 years old standing behind a 5'x 5' cardboard picture of a deer because we were in too much of a rush to lean it up on a tree. It felt like 10 minutes had passed so I figured he had shot & missed or the bow broke so I peeked around just as the sharpened stick pierced my eye.

Fun times!

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes .. but not with bailing twine . Used to cut cattails , split an end , tie a string around the nock end so it wouldn't split all the way . Then stick a sparkler in the other end and shoot it up in the air . Did a few other oddball things to make arrows . Never got in trouble doing any of this stuff . 

• Like 1

Also made slingshots using solid "Y" sticks and pieces of old tire tubes. Trying to go sledding on a trash bag or piece of cardboard. Great times. Kids today might have all these cool gadgets and toys, but we ( anyone over 40 ) had real fun as kids. Being outdoors and just being young and silly.

We use to make spears, by taking the clusters of thorns that grew out of thorn apple trees, and attaching them to the ends of long sticks. A friend once stuck one through the side of my new, yellow 

Converse All Pros. It didn't hurt that bad but enough blood soaked out, through the sneaker, that my mother noticed it and freaked out when I got home. My father just said we were all idiots, and got pisses that I ruined the sneaks, that he just paid like $5 for LOL!! I wore them till they fell apart anyway..

Its a wonder we didn't kill each other with the crap we use to do.

• Like 1

At age 11, I carved a pretty good longbow out of hickory. I did use baling twine for string and some willow branches for arrows. I managed to bring down quite a few of those barn pigeons up in the hay loft. I cleaned them and my mother cooked them up for me and that was my first bowhunting kill. It started quite a lifelong hobby. 

• Like 2

We used to make apple throwers . Take a stick about 2 1/2 feet long , sharpen the end and put a green apple on it . You could throw an apple a long distance and with force . A bit of practice and you could get fairly accurate . We used to have teams and throw them at each other . Getting hit with a green apple at great velocity would hurt ! 

Later in the fall we would have Walnut Wars . We would carry a few walnuts that still had the outer husks on them that were turning soft and throw them at each other . Made sure we weren't wearing school clothes . I think I was the smartest in the bunch as I wore a rubber glove on my throwing hand so I didn't end up with the walnut stain that would last for a week or two . We had fun !

Had a decent woodshop to play in growing up.

Built a few crossbows with ash bent limbs, but that ended when I put a 1/4" solid aluminum foot long bolt through a car door when I missed a target.

Got full penetration though. LOL

:O

LOL. That's better then some of the crossbows they make today.

• Like 1

:O

LOL. That's better then some of the crossbows they make today.

I was one of those book worm kids who always had an interesting project going.

There was a book in the Erie County library system on mid evil weapons right down to exploded views for parts.

Used a boat winch with aircraft cable to cock the string. My grandfather sourced that from a junk yard for me!

Threaded steel heads on the shafts to get them weight forward.

Chevy station wagon....Caprice maybe?.....late 70's?....right above the drivers side door handle. Oh did I catch hell for that one, paid for it too.

Built a baseball chucking 8' high Trebuchet (<google that on you tube) for a physics class and launched tennis balls filled with coleman fuel with it behind a friends house.

I think I got an A+ for that one as my calculations were good (no flames involved). LOL

• Like 3