Stands

Adkhunter1590

Anyone hanging stands yet in prep for this season? I put my first one up today. I'm getting more and more excited with every passing day. Went for a drive around the area last night with my buddy and I couldn't believe it. We saw 6 good bucks all together in a alfalfa field around 730 last night. There were 2 that are already 130 inches. I couldn't believe my eyes. Only about 3/4 of a mile down the road from my house too! I've never seen that many bucks together in NY before. Or that many big ones for that matter! Out west was a little different but it gets my blood pumping to see that here!

Anyways....who else is getting those stands up!?

86276c0e1a8d964a71591455d486dee0.png

d5bda882caa20c2525ce333d4b731a3e.jpg

121c330ff739586ae584ba05d7387d9e.jpg

78d56e67a9231692c145de875a9665de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I can't wait to but I have to wait for the closing on the new land before I can.... I've been getting the itch though sorting and organizing all my stuff shooting the bow and some rifles, I have 3 pop up blinds and 5 stands that I will use this year and then build some perminent ones in the off season

• Like 1

I can't wait to but I have to wait for the closing on the new land before I can.... I've been getting the itch though sorting and organizing all my stuff shooting the bow and some rifles, I have 3 pop up blinds and 5 stands that I will use this year and then build some perminent ones in the off season

Good luck on the new land! I'm on new land this year as well. Just bought this house late November last year so I never got a chance to hunt it or even this general area. Trying to get food plots established to help bring them in and hold them. And from what I'm seeing for bucks in fields all around me I'm excited. Cams have been showing a few decent bucks. But they all seemed to have disappeared the last week. I'm sure they will be back though.

That's about how many stands I'm looking to have up this year. I have 1 of 3 up so far and am currently shopping around online for some new ones. Thinking of trying out those Hawk stands....they look pretty nice for a good price.

• Like 1

Good luck on the new land! I'm on new land this year as well. Just bought this house late November last year so I never got a chance to hunt it or even this general area. Trying to get food plots established to help bring them in and hold them. And from what I'm seeing for bucks in fields all around me I'm excited. Cams have been showing a few decent bucks. But they all seemed to have disappeared the last week. I'm sure they will be back though.

That's about how many stands I'm looking to have up this year. I have 1 of 3 up so far and am currently shopping around online for some new ones. Thinking of trying out those Hawk stands....they look pretty nice for a good price.

My ladders are up year round, straps loosened , the ones I wanted to move were moved in March I think . Some hang ons are in plastic bags under the tree, I drop,them place in bags then check cables and straps before they go back up. Not a fan of exposing them to wet and sun year round .

Other hang ons will go up soon, all in one day , I try to time it with the farm bush hogging , bull dozing trees , cutting hay , cleaning out drainage ditches and such . With climbing sticks and using the same tree, so no or little trimming I can hang one in a few minutes and be gone til Oct . I have perhaps two new spots to hang them this year as well.

I have no cams out yet, tomorrow I may hang a couple . I love seeing the pics. But I know I have good bucks around each year and I know the travel routes, so I'd rather just stay away .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

I started July 1st hang 30 plus takes me about 2 months..then I am out of the woods starting sept 1 and no one goes scouting . Oct 1st the woods are Virgin to man..lol. seems extremely paranoid but I have a large piece surrounded by mamy small camps they show up a month before and hammer stands , atv scout, trim trails and just slam car and truck doors as well as fire up those chimneys

. The deer alert and head for peace and quiet which my propertyprovides them.. over 25 years it's proven itself time and time again.

. Trail cams get moved to fields and logging roads..

• Like 2

I'm hoping to get up this weekend or the first weekend in August. I have to move a lot of my existing stands and hang a few more. Highly doubt I will be able to get it all done in one weekend so may be forced to pollute the woods with human scent in October. Not happy about it but it is what it is. I had about one free weekend this whole summer and wasn't able to get up. Oct 1 can't come soon enough.

Sept. 1st is the start of squirrel season, so others will be in the woods even if your trying not to be. Unless your land is posted solid?

I hunt squirrel alot with my boy and very seldom see anyone else on stateland or private kinda wierd

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I hunt squirrel alot with my boy and very seldom see anyone else on stateland or private kinda wierd

In my area small game hunting is almost non existant,especially with turkey shortened to 2 weeks..

Can't remember last time I saw anyone hunt small game

• Like 1

In my area small game hunting is almost non existant,especially with turkey shortened to 2 weeks..

Can't remember last time I saw anyone hunt small game

Yep I'm sure if you hunted stateland we would probably be hunting same places...even the cuba rod and gun club is a ghost town for small game

Yep I'm sure if you hunted stateland we would probably be hunting same places...even the cuba rod and gun club is a ghost town for small game

I go through hanging bog and cranberry hollow and only time any one is there are phesant release days...cuba use to gave a squirrel contest but hasn't had it since bow opened Oct 1..
  • Like 1

I have 22 stands at my camp, and 5 at my family farm in Macedon. I place them all out on Hunt stand lite app for my phone. simple and easy. Plus i never take them down unless to move them or re secure them for the fall season. When it comes to personal belongings, i remember quite well lol.. others things, i cant say... lol

Will be putting up 2 more in early August, then Im out of the woods until bow season starts and the occasional trail cam check

For those of you that leave stands up? How do you safely inspect them for broken welds, deterioration of straps,deteriorated cables? I can only do that at ground level and using weights to test them .. can't imagine trying to do that in a tree

For those of you that leave stands up? How do you safely inspect them for broken welds, deterioration of straps,deteriorated cables? I can only do that at ground level and using weights to test them .. can't imagine trying to do that in a tree

I ask Phade to jump up and down on them.  If he falls, we replace the stand. 

Its tough to do, especially with hang-ons.  You won't know the coated cables are bad until they go.  That's why we generally stick with all metal ladder stands.  The inspection is done pre-season when we replace straps.  Doesn't mean a weld won't break but that could happen with a new stand.  That's why we should all tie in.

• Like 2