Moths In My Basement?

Lawdwaz

We see the occasional (one a day?) moth in the basement.  I Googled it and they said they are attracted to wool clothing, fur/feathers, pantries, dog food etc.

Good heavens, they've found the Mother Lode in MY basement....... :(

I've pulled all my wool hunting clothes out and shook it...nothing.  Whacked the three hanging fans and nothing flew out....Looked in and around the dog food bin and then snooped inside the pantry.......yup, zippppp.

I think we saw them last summer too but can't be sure.....any ideas from the experts here??

Pantry moths...They lay eggs in all grain products hatch larva that then go to moth stage and repeat. They enter in you food.Flour,pasta,pet food.

I've always wondered if the eggs are already in the food when we buy it or if they find the way in somehow after we buy open it............for the life of me I can't figure out how they get into a sealed container or bag.

• Like 1

The permathin based sprays like Sawyers are oderless and keep bugs off clothing  and you get tick protection too.

I worry about bugs in my taxidermy and let one of the bug bomb canisters go when I go away on trips to zap any critters hiding in the cracks.

• Like 2

Leave some flour out in a sealed container for months on the counter. A surprise awaits you, LOL. Cooking kills the eggs, most of the time. Old unopened boxes of cereal can can yield some interesting wiggle little things.

Our root cellar has moths in it this time of year. The cool air attracts the little buggers.

Bats in the belfry, LOL.

• Like 2

Grow has it correct. Pantry moths. We had them and they were a biatch to get rid of. Remove the food sources, open box of cereals, open bags of flour, cracker boxes not sealed properly. Toss it all. Wipe down cupboards with a vinegar . They have a 2 week cycle from eggs to moth I do believe. Still have a few fluttering around. I spray them with 409 and they fall off the ceiling DOA. Put dog food and flour etc in plastic tight sealing containers.

• Like 1

Ya had a boyfriend many moons ago that had his apartment horribly infested...he lost a lot of "Bachalor"type food...all of witch full-featured just listed...Lol
his cupboards were bare when we were done cleaning.

witch full-featured just listed...Lol

Ya..on kindle this morning typed:

which turkeyfeathers just listed...lol

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

To be a bit more specific... these are likely Indian Meal Moths or Mediterranean Flower Moths. Their entire life cycle usually takes 8-10 weeks and they usually have 5-6 generations per year. While the adult females lay the eggs (pretty much non-controllable) the resulting larvae (quite controllable) crawl about and infest many different foodstuffs. It is very possible (actually quite normal) to bring goods home from the store already infested. Once the larvae change into pupae they again become hard to kill. Sanitation is paramount and you need to go through your pantry and thoroughly inspect all goods. Throw out infested stuff!!! Crack and crevice insecticidal applications can help as can aerosol fogs and even traps. Follow label guidelines on all products. 

• Like 1

I have a couple of friends who must carry flour or pasta in their wallets.  Once or twice a year when they open them.....out come the moths.

Looks like we have a comedian on the board.  :)

Welcome, a little humor goes a long way with me.