disced up middle plots...

I have the long trail plots with a few small roundish plots that all connect...they were planted in WW and clover...I disced the WW trails and 2 round plots just now...OK going to toot my own horn on this one...Dang good job on some very tight spots surrounded by trees and high stumps and never nicked a thing...lol The tractors not huge but it's 35 hr JD with a 6ft disc on the back and a front end loader....

Any how want to throw down a couple of bags of lime  some fertilizeer10-20-20 then drag and hit it with a clover/small Burnett mix and some TT...I figure there will be WW coming in as well seeing I mowed it. the other plots with be all turnips.

• Like 2

I wait until I see rain in the forecast...the goat barn planting...We were SUPPOSE TO  have showers tonight...last check that changed to no rain :rolleyes:. These plots I can not drag with equipment so I need to hand rake the plots...trail plots can be dragged..I also have to get out to buy fertilizer so it will be a few days before it's ready to walk seed over...great thing about small seed...prepare plot and just top seed when conditions are right...Though I do disc in grains.

All but one of my plots are prepped and ready for any incoming shower, if im not working ill lay down the seed and let the rain do its job.. until then i just stay in tune with the weather channel lol

2 plots will be Deer ag double Beam, and another plot of winter Peas(mid Aug. planting) all ready to go besides one Brassica plot needs disking.. Wedding coming up wont allow me to get there yet lol

• Like 2

I  have about 75 pounds of buckwheat to plant, but I am not sowing it until I have at least a 50/50 chance of some rain...

I am going to work the ground up in the next few days and then wait  for a favorable forcast until I put the seed in the ground.

I forgot to turn of the cam before discing that area so you can see how tight it was..but got it done and limed fertilized and planted with a wht./red clover/ Burnett mix...rain was due today but now Monday. will see how that comes in and over seed later with some turnips plus disc and plant pure turnips in an older clover plot I killed there

PICT0019 (2).JPG

PICT0015 (2).JPG

PICT0025 (2).JPG

Lack of rain is my fear also.  I planted buckwheat end of june and haven't been back to see if the plots were a fail or not.  Using them for green fertilizer so no big deal. 

However, I am worried that this dry spell will continue and screw up my fall planning plans.  I read somewhere that it is better to not have rain at all (until a good amount falls) then to have a little to start germination and then a long dry spell which will kill the young plants.  May have to wait closer to September to play it safe.  

Our long term shows some rain in the forecast all next week...with 50/60% a couple of days.right now I'm getting some dew in the areas I planted and they are filtered light verses the open field where evaporation is an issue. I look at these plots as safety ones for if the clover doesn't come in well, I can still over seed with turnips or rye grain. Also they can be frost seeded in the early spring. The open fields will be planted later.

Edited by growalot

On 7/21/2016 at 11:58 AM, Fishon said:

We need some serious rain.  Its so dry the weeds are dying. Thank god the clover is still hanging in there.  If ya see some rain please send it my way. Thanks

Disc up some wheat stubble that I didn't frost seed clover on. The rains of Monday had little effect, as it is to dry to sprout seed. Did work in the urea.  Least it's worked now to hold any moisture we do get. It can be planted and rolled quickly.

Glad you got the moisture. You should have some nice salads for the wildlife. Keep some pics coming. The area I planted Tuesday was worked in June. It absorbed Mondays rainfall . Seed down an inch or so is in moisture and sprouting. I planted the radish a little deeper than normal to reach some of that moisture. Oats already have sprouts. Grass seed should hold on top ok..