Bino recommendations under $1500 or so

Long range for western hunting or short range?

I've heard great things about the Vortex Kaibab HD and Razor HD in your price range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Going to be long range western hunting

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Nice. I think u can get the Kaibab for under $1500. Heard great things about them, but never used them. Good luck

Tough to beat Swaro..

Back when I was shopping for a pair of high end binos  conventional wisdom said that Swaro,-Zeiss-Leica  were about a wash as far as quality was concerned..Basically a matter of personal choice between the 3..

I went with Leicas mostly due to the ironclad life warranty, but since then I have looked through some friend's Swaros and kinda wished I had gone with them.

That said, my Leicas are a wonderful glass and  I  never have had reason to regret that I bought them.

I am a big fan of the high end Bushnell binoculars, my first high quality binocular was the Bushnell "Custom" compact that the early NASA astronauts took into space, I still use them today and even though they are 50 years old and pretty beat up I can still see well out of them. Being an eyeglass wearer their extreme eye relief gives me a full field of view that few other brands do.

Today's Bushnell  "Legends" and "Elites" which I have also acquired and use have that same high end quality, eye relief and resolution as the old "Customs" and are a best buy. A pair of 10X42 Elites would be just the right ticket out west and tough to beat at any price.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

well the way I see things is I get a great pair of binos and then I also won't need to get a spotting scope for the range and instead just use the binos plus I want to make one purchase and have something that will be great the rest of my life.

• Like 3

A pair of HUNTING binos will not replace a spotting scope  at the range except at relatively short range.

Maximum practical magnification on even high quality binos for hunting is about 10X and 8X is a better choice for most of us.  Any higher than that is just too hard to hold steady under hunting conditions.

• Like 5

A pair of HUNTING binos will not replace a spotting scope at the range except at relatively short range.

Maximum practical magnification on even high quality binos for hunting is about 10X and 8X is a better choice for most of us. Any higher than that is just too hard to hold steady under hunting conditions.

Agree. I use a pair of Nikon 10x42s when out west. They were a few hundred only. Any reputable guide out west will have a spotting scope. Those things are like $5k I think, but amazing.

A good 10x will cover 90% of what you need out west.

If you were going to run two sets or a spotting scope then you have other options.

My personal favorite is 12 or 15 X binos on a tri pod and 8x to carry with me on the stalk and general use.

I am something of an optics nut. Some glass that I would drop coin on is

Mid priced ..Zeiss conquest HD, also Swaro companions.

On the High end I thing that Victory HT are the best glass out there with Swaro SL being a close second.

Swaro SLC are crazy good at 1500.

• Like 1

I bought some Leica 10x42's this past year as they were around $850 new and fit the budget.  I also had a store credit that I needed to use so that helped some of the decision.

Compare pretty good to Swaro 10x42 Swarovision EL's for about half the price (http://www.eurooptic.com/swarovski-el-swarovision-10x42-binoculars-34110.aspx street price about 1799). But they are not lifetime warranty......possible long term downside. Banged them around for 3 weeks everyday this past spring hunting and glassing for birds and game and was pleased with the purchase. Lots of dust, in and off the truck, crawling in rocks, etc. even some unexpected rain. Cleaned up like new.

At some point I will find the Swaro's EL's listed for sale on the used market  when I have the free cash. But I don't regret the Leica purchase.

Had some 12x56 Swaro's that I sold that were neither fish nor fowl....too big to carry, needed a tripod but not as good as a quality spotter. Bought them cheap and traded them for a rifle barrel IIRC.

Generally I buy high end optics used, very easy to find good deals from folks strapped for cash on forums. High end stuff tends to be well cared for and have great customer service and lifetime warranties. Swarovski is about the best there is on that end for high end optics.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 2

I've had a bunch of different Swarovski, Leica and Leitz binos.  Right now I have a 12-13 year old pair of Swarovski 8x32 EL's and a newer pair of Leica 8x32 Ultravids.  The EL's I bought new and the Leica's were used but you couldn't tell.  PERFECT condition! 

I've been wanting to try a pair of the Ultravids for a number of years.  I'm very happy with them but won't be selling the EL's anytime soon.  They are easily more compact than the EL's and I believe a bit lighter.  They should be wonderful for archery season.  (like the EL's aren't?)

10x binos for out west are fine but useless in my book east of the Mississippi.  Frankly, you couldn't give ME a pair of 10x anymore.  BTDT....I've had 10x EL's, SLC and even Zeiss Classics but they've all moved down the road to guys with stronger neck muscles........

I also have a pair of Bushnell Elites 8x42 and they aren't too shabby for a truck bino.

Bizzy.........You can buy a GREAT spotter for way less than 5 grand.  Like binoculars, spotting scope deals are to be had on the web all day long.  Heck, the Leupold HD spotter is only 1400 clams.  I have a wonderful Zeiss Diascope 15x45 straight body spotter that I bought used for less than a grand.

The only HD glass I have is the Bushnell's.  I've heard that there IS a perceptible difference between HD and non HD glass.  Maybe someday I'll score some on a smoking deal but for now I'm very satisfied with what I have.

Tomorrow I'll snap a picture of the two pairs of 8x glass for a comparison.

High end glass is a wonderful thing to use and unlike any firearm, they can be used 365 days a year, anywhere & anytime.  Well worth the price of admission!

You'll never regret it................................

• Like 1

I am a big fan of the high end Bushnell binoculars, my first high quality binocular was the Bushnell "Custom" compact that the early NASA astronauts took into space, I still use them today and even though they are 50 years old and pretty beat up I can still see well out of them. Being an eyeglass wearer their extreme eye relief gives me a full field of view that few other brands do.

Today's Bushnell "Legends" and "Elites" which I have also acquired and use have that same high end quality, eye relief and resolution as the old "Customs" and are a best buy. A pair of 10X42 Elites would be just the right ticket out west and tough to beat at any price.

Al

we used to have a Bushnell account at work. I ordered a lot of upper end scopes , binocs , night vision etc with the opportunity I love these binocs. Great field of view, crystal clear and way cheaper than $1500 even at retail where as I only paid wholesale. Don't under estimate these.

post-4567-0-96724600-1469155677_thumb.jp

post-4567-0-73636000-1469155709_thumb.jp

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2

I've got a pair of Nikon Monarchs that were around $300 or so.  They're pretty good.  If you're going out west with that budget I'd go with Vortex Razor HD 10x42.  Lifetime warranty.  Steve Rhinella uses them for all kinds of hunts, they're pretty nice.  haven't had a chance to compare side by side with Swaro's but at half the price they'd be my purchase if I was looking to spend that kind of money. 

• Like 1

we have 4 pair of different leupolds, I've only had a problem once 30 years ago with a gold ring that kept fogging, factory never could fix it, kinda ticked me off they didn't offer to replace them for me.

but the new ones are light, cheap $300 and under for acadia, Mojave, etc, and they are fine for glassing general use, they range from 8 to 12x power in the bunch we have

you're going to want a scope, in my experience.

we bought a swaro atx scope, and the horse it was on fell off the mountain, the scope was damaged, went back to swaro and took over 6 months to get back to me, then it happened again and I sold it, and bought a cabelas scope, its made by meopta or something but I can go into cabelas and hand it to them and get one handed back to me, was the main reason for that choice and its clear enough. some of the sheep guides here use leupold scopes, they love them, so maybe think that route a bit more.

don't forget the atmosphere here (NW Wyoming, west in general) is going to  be hot at some point, intense direct sun so heat waves stop you from going to 60x, I mainly stay around 20x on the scope or it distorts,  so you may say, yeah I can do binos only... but glasses are hard to use only without a scope of some kind, I don't see how you can get away with just binos.

or I guess I mean to say, I can but I won't.

I'd buy the $300 leupolds and spend the saved $1200 on staying longer west or a good camera, put it towards a leupold spotter, my 2 cents,

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

I've got a pair of Nikon Monarchs that were around $300 or so.  They're pretty good.  If you're going out west with that budget I'd go with Vortex Razor HD 10x42.  Lifetime warranty.  Steve Rhinella uses them for all kinds of hunts, they're pretty nice.  haven't had a chance to compare side by side with Swaro's but at half the price they'd be my purchase if I was looking to spend that kind of money. 

Steve who?

Whatever you choose, you can add a doubler to serve as a spotting scope.  It works great as long as you put the binos on a tripod.  I have vortex vipers and they are great for $5-600.  The razors should be better but I doubt I could tell the difference.  

I should add, doubler works great at the range.  Might not be optimal for in the field. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1