hello, Wyoming here saying hello

slickrockpack

SlickRockPack here, I am born and raised in Saranac inn, NY, we live in Wyoming for sometime now, before that in southern Utah, that's the SlickRock part of the name, the Pack refers to our hounds. Our family began hunting with hounds in England and kept the tradition in America since 1637 in Virginia, the last of our pack are 14 and 15 years old now and this will be the end of hounding for me when they are gone.

I thought I would stop in and say hello, check in on what NY is like these days,  and thanks ahead of time for the help!

• Like 3

thank you !

well, we border yeloowstone on our west side so if he needs a hand  while here, or anything at all just tell him there's folks in wapiti if he needs them.

we'll be fishing this week after this project we are working on, buffalo are in full rut so he should have fun watching them!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dmandoes said:

it cant be that slow in wy that your slumming on a ny forum.  what tags do you have for wy this year? 

ha. I'm sitting here waiting for  a delivery today. otherwise, generally, no, I'm outside.

I drew an archery elk for here at the house.

we eat buffler, moose and elk, in that order, we don't like killing the critters here much, none of the folks here do, well, the kids do and the people with horn fetishes,  and residents are in the same draw you are, except we don't get all the  PPs you do, only can build PP for moose and sheep. we don't hunt sheep. we get WY moose tags about every 10 years averaged out.

I don't know of too many residents that hunt General areas unless they are desperate, but yes, we can buy general tags.

antelope are hard to draw here as a resident, they aren't mountain critters, low number of tags near us. We can buy some tags leftover but the hunt areas are 2+ hrs away, I'm not driving 2+hrs each way for a speed goat. They don't taste THAT good.

we don't hunt mule deer they are in serious trouble here,  I'm not going to contribute to it while Game and Fish has their heads up their rumps

and whitetails are not found on the north fork, yet....

we can buy all the elk antlerless we can stand but season is nov and dec and I'll be back east this year for most of that so why spend the money. Jan they'll sometimes have a cull hunt and we'll shoot some then too

I thought my wife had bought some elk tags for cows but she didn't ---says she's going east with me and the hounds this year...get my brother's house in Vermont ready for sale.

Idaho we mainly hunt for wolf and elk, and same montana,  if friends want to hunt elk in montana that year I'll buy a MT tag. Colorado we hunt archery elk every few years, depends on the year.

this year I have all of Sept to fill my any elk archery tag, if it snows they will move down more, doesn't snow and stays hot I'll just wait for colder weather and help friends fill antelope tags, shoot some bears when they get into the corrals in the fall. don't really enjoy killing bears but its a lot of meat.

and you know, honestly, when you have the animals around you all the time the desire to kill them really isn't that high.

a documentary on mule deer Joe Hutto made, excellent scenery by the way, summed it up pretty well, a tourist shot one of the bucks that lived on their ranch and asked, Geez, any idea how old this buck is, and Joe said yeah, he was 7 on June 13th, I've known him since he was born.

Bison , Elk And Moose I don't get to know well enough to mind chewing on them and of course can't draw a tag for most of them to save my life!

deerdeck.jpg

• Like 3