Go to deer rifle

For whitetails, primary is a Rem M700 Mountain Rifle  in 7mm08 with a Burris 2x7..

Secondary, or for use when a longer shot is anticipated,  Win M70 in .280 Rem with a Leupold fixed power 6 X.

Several times during season when I feel in the mood and don't plan to do a lot of walking, Garand  M1 with issue sights.

Remington 770, 30-06. I know, it's cheap, ugly, the action isn't smooth, and I had to mark "ON/OFF" on the safety, since there were no markings when I purchased it. I bought the gun for my son to use, he's since retired from hunting. He put it away wet in the gun case and ruined the blueing on the barrel. But, this is the most accurate gun I own, I've lost track of how many deer, antelope, and hogs I've dropped with this gun. It has never let me down.

Savage Axis in 7mm-08 with Leupold VX-1 3x9x40 shooting 140gr. Federal Premium Nosler BT 

Backup

Ithica Deerslayer 2 with Leupold 1x4 shooting 2 3/4 inch Remington Accu Tip Copper sabots.

Both get the job done with dead right there shots. When I do my part.

I am someone who as the old adage goes ["Variety is the spice of life"]  is always looking for an excuse to buy a new gun and caliber to try it out for hunting be it pistol, muzzleloader, shotgun or rifle. Seeing all those different guns and calibers and the glowing reports by other hunters just makes me want to give them a try and experience them myself. There are so many conditions to contend with that there are certainly options that will perform in some cases better than others so I actually hate the idea of being limited to just one. That being said if I had to go with one rifle and feel comfortable in using it in any senario it would be my Husqvarna bolt action light sporter in 280 Remington and I should say if the same gun was chambered in 270 Winchester it would be just as good as the calibers are virtually identical.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I've got many rifles. My go-to is a Sako 75 in 30.06. My favorite is a Dakota Model 10 chambered in "The Bob". My bruiser is a Ruger #1 in .300 H&H Mag. My long distance is a Dakota Model 97 in 7MM Dakota. My inclement weather rifle is a Ruger 77 Compact in .308. Depends on my mood I guess. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bugsNbows said:

I've got many rifles. My go-to is a Sako 75 in 30.06. My favorite is a Dakota Model 10 chambered in "The Bob". My bruiser is a Ruger #1 in .300 H&H Mag. My long distance is a Dakota Model 97 in 7MM Dakota. My inclement weather rifle is a Ruger 77 Compact in .308. Depends on my mood I guess. 

Interesting choices.

You don't see many Dakota's listed in these types of threads and even less so a single shot. As unique as when I list a Blaser or a Jarrett for a favorite rig.

Good stuff.

• Like 1

Too much wood in bugsNbows choices......... :)

It's hard for me to pick one so I rotate also.  Yesterday I had some time on my last "vacation" day and hit the range with the 223ai and 260 Remington.  When I got back I did a quick inventory of my loaded ammo for all the guns and came up pretty thin for the 260 (yea, shot too much during that range session) and 7mm-08.  I have plenty for the 300WSM and only 20 rounds for the 243 but heck, I'll only need on shot per deer so I should be GTG.  :)

OH, wanna see a picture of said 243?  OK...................

IMG_5181_zpsa6d317a4.jpg

null_zps41b23054.jpg

That buck was a prize winner in a side bet/big buck contest among some fellow forum members here.  I think they were pizzed I pulled that buck out of my nether region late in the season and stole the pot.   Maybe we can do it again this year since we took a year off last year?? :)

So I guess it'll be that gun; my NULA .243 with Leupold 2.5x8 VXIII shooting 80gr Barnes TTSX bullets.

Prob for me old Browning A-Bolt II 30-06 Leopold VX1 3-9, and now the Browning BAR Mk I 30-06 Zeiss Terra 3-9.  The A-Bolt II shoots my hand loads Nosler 150 gr BT's.  The BAR is on a steady diet of Barnes Vortex 168 gr.  

Seriously looking for a nice 243 bolt action.  Likely a Browning stainless stalker if there are anymore out there.  

Edited by eagle rider
  • Like 1